America is a one-party state

by LAWRENCE SELLIN, PHD June 26, 2014

The Republican Party is nothing more than the servile junior partner of an entrenched bipartisan political establishment in Washington DC that does everything in its power to extinguish representative government and thwart the will of the American people.

In the Mississippi Republican primary run-off, Senator-For-Life, 76-year-old Thad Cochran was declared the winner over Tea Party-backed challenger Chris McDaniel by just over six thousand votes.

To secure his slim victory, Cochran not only received the full-blown backing of the Republican establishment and the amnesty-supporting US Chamber of Commerce, but he shamelessly solicited cross-over votes from traditionally Democratic voters, blacks and union members, who, like himself, support big spending and big government.

During the campaign, Cochran also adopted Democratic Party talking points about Tea Party candidates, leveling personal attacks against McDaniel, calling him an "extremist" and "dangerous."

Having acquired their candidate, the Republican establishment will, in November,  attempt to intimidate conservatives with the usual general election blackmail, vote for Cochran or risk a Democratic majority in the Senate.

If turnabout is fair play, then Mississippi conservatives would be justified in using the same tactics that Cochran used against them, voting for his Democratic opponent Travis Childers.

There is a Cold Civil War underway between Americans who want to adhere to the Constitution and adopt responsible fiscal policies, and the party leaders, who wish to continue the practices of political expediency and crony capitalism.

Politicians now seek election, not to uphold the rule of law and serve the American people, but to obtain power. Both Republicans and Democrats parlay that power into influence, privilege and personal affluence by redistributing the wealth generated by ordinary Americans into their own pockets and those of their supporters.

All the traditional means for the American people to seek the redress of grievances have been largely blocked by self-absorbed, unaccountable permanent political elites.

The Republican establishment's investment in our corrupt political-media culture explains why they will go only so far in challenging the Constitutional violations and the anti-American policies of the Obama Administration.

Republican leaders will continue to hold hearings about Obama's mounting number of scandals, but will do nothing.

They know that revealing too much about Obama's background and behavior in office would disclose their own dereliction of duty and complicity to undermine the rule of law.

They know that the truth would topple the corrupt status quo and terminate their exclusive grip on political power, allowing the American people to regain control of their government. Like in Mississippi, the political elites will do anything to prevent that.

It comes as no surprise then that Cochran and the Republican establishment joined forces with the Democrats in feverish efforts to defeat McDaniel, who more closely represents the desires of the American people and the needs of the country.

America's de facto one-party state screams out for a genuine opposition.  Conservatives, continually marginalized by the Republican establishment, should vote with their feet and walk away from a party that lacks both ideas and principles.

The Code of Ethics for U.S. Government Service, adopted by the House of Representatives on July 11, 1958 with the Senate concurring, resolved that it is the sense of the Congress that the following Code of Ethics should be adhered to by all Government employees, including officeholders.

1. Put loyalty to the highest moral principles and to country above loyalty to Government persons, party, or department.

2. Uphold the Constitution, laws, and legal regulations of the United States and of all governments therein and never be a party to their evasion.

No informed American can believe that the Congress, as an institution, adheres to those values.

Maybe there are some politicians who could join together and start doing so.

Lawrence Sellin, Ph.D. is a retired colonel with 29 years of service in the US Army Reserve and a veteran of Afghanistan and Iraq. Colonel Sellin is the author of "Restoring the Republic: Arguments for a Second American Revolution ". He receives email at lawrence.sellin@gmail.com.

You need to be a member of The Patriots For America to add comments!

Join The Patriots For America

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The entire government has become smoke and mirrors with both parties playing good cop, bad cop. 

• Both parties are the same. Worthless.

• They become hand in hand decades ago when they discovered they could vote themselves anything they wanted at the tax payers expense.

There is a term limit on all offices folks, it's called elections. I. personally, have never voted for anyone more than twice; and usually only once when they show what they are on the first election.

• here is the real problem:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_members_of_the_United_States_C...

the Constitution states :

"Section. 2.

The House of Representatives shall be composed of Members chosen every second Year by the People of the several States.."

"Section. 3.

The Senate of the United States shall be composed of two Senators from each State, chosen by the Legislature thereof for six Years; and each Senator shall have one Vote."

No where does it say over an over again, but it states two years and six years is a term.

• I believe an easy fix to Senators that do NOT abide by the will of the people would be to limit their total term in office to no more than two successive terms and then they must go out and seek a regular job.  This is really quite generous in my viewpoint.

In the case of the House of Representatives, I think being chosen every second year by the people of the several states is appropriate, however I propose we limit a total length of service in the house to be an consecutive total of no more than SIX years.  Again I personally believe this to be generous in offering them the PRIVILEGE to serve We The People.

I further suggest that upon expiration of their total allowable term in office, any severance/retirement package be reduced to no more than 10% of their salary to be paid for a maximum of five years.  This would encourage them all to obtain their own retirement and IRA programs just like the rest of us.

• The 17th Amendment needs to be repealed and put the senate back in the hands of the states' congress. They are there to represent the states, not the people.

If the Senate and House are to represent we the people, why do we need two sections of Congress?

• The problem is the voters, Mutantone, not the office holders. They prove what they are the day they go in office, but too many voters don't know how to vote for a new candidate.

• Dr. Sellin mentioned a "cold civil war",  it will not be long before the American people have had enough and turn this into a "hot civil war".  I am ready, I hope the majority of America people are ready, along with our military.

• The two houses of Congress have created the problems we have today. Clean house. Get rid of them.

• fine and yes that must be done but then u have to hope that voters will put in someone new or run for office themselves.

many want others like us to do that job b/c it is too much effort   i did 2 yrs ago and yes it is but it was worth it 

if u do nothing then u cannot complain at the outcome   it is surely up to us now   the next step maybe to just go to the offices of all congress and spk to as many people as possible i have also done that it is a real futile effort but leave our documents and what we want then fax email and keep calling some will get the msg 

This reply was deleted.