Mail Online

By Nina Golgowski

As the saying goes, you can never be too young to learn, and that just may include how to handle a gun.

A sheriff's department in Louisiana is offering free firearm training for local children.

New BB gun, shotgun or hunting rifle owners, or those who just want to learn, were encouraged to attend the 'Kids First Gun Program' in Caddo Parish this weekend, so long as they were between the ages of 8 and 12.

Into good hands: A young boy carries a BB rifle on his first hunt, a perfect participant for a local Louisiana sheriff's gun safety program held this weekend for children (file photo)

Into good hands: A young boy carries a BB rifle on his first hunt, a perfect participant for a local Louisiana sheriff's gun safety program held this weekend for children (file photo)

Held annually, the program is 'conducted immediately after Christmas for those children who received their first gun as a gift,' according to the sheriff's website.

'Children who will receive a gun for Christmas can try it for the first time in front of certified law enforcement academy firearms instructors,' Sheriff Steve Prator told the Shreveport Times of the program.

'Parents are wise to want their children to know basic firearms,' he added.

The free four-hour course held on Saturday is sponsored by donations from local citizens, Walmart, and local wholesalers.

Children without a gun will be provided one, according to CNS News.

Real life: A Red Ryder airgun is seen under a Christmas tree in the classic movie A Christmas Story with the Louisiana sheriff's department hosting the program after many children's similar gifts

Real life: A Red Ryder airgun is seen under a Christmas tree in the classic movie A Christmas Story with the Louisiana sheriff's department hosting the program after many children's similar gifts

All participants must be accompanied by an adult.

Among public reaction to the event reported in local papers, a Facebook user reaching out to the sheriff's department on their site commended the officers.

'Gun safety begins early and the sound practices taught at a young age are carried with us throughout our lives. Thank you Sheriff and hats off to your instructors and the others responsible for making this event happen,' they write.

You need to be a member of The Patriots For America to add comments!

Join The Patriots For America

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• True Americana! Let Freedom Ring!

• I like this, I am going to talk with our local gun clubs about starting a program. Our club has 500 members, I am sure there is someone certified to teach our future.

• I like the idea, no, I love this. And it is needed. Good for this sheriff.

• This program NEEDS to be expanded NATION WIDE and vigorously promoted. Also The Civilian Marksmanship Program and the Johnny Appleseed Marksmanship Program.  Along wth the NRA Hunter/Sportsman Safety Program and other less known local firearms marksmanship and safety courses. We NEED to teach our youth firearms safety and responsibility and the Constitution and Bill of Rights !

• 8 to 12 year olds are not babies. The title is misleading. I think it is a great idea to teach firearm (weapon) safety to anyone old enough to understand.

There were always guns, knives, BBguns in our house - it was always understood that they were off limits without approval and supervision until the proper use was understood and observed.

These things were never locked up, but off limits was off limits.

The first picture shows finger on the trigger and should not - finger should be off trigger until ready to shoot.

• Good for them.

• GOTTA LOVE THIS! Take that, Bite Me, Islamobama, Schumer, BloomNUTberg, and HOLDER - of all people should NOT be doing background checks on US.

This is GREAT!

• started training our children at 4 years old. They learned the fundamentals and how to handle a firearm, with assistance of course. We raised 4four children, oldest is 43, youngest is 23. amazing not 1 single incident, or accident in all these years.

• Check out "Project Appleseed" for a nation wide program that teaches kids how to become a rifleman. This program is free to kids and is open to anyone with a desire to shoot and learn gun saftey along with a history lesson of how our country won the freedoms we noe take for granted.

• I'll check it out !

This reply was deleted.