Imagine the economic collapse happens......country is at a stand still....... Stores are out of supplies.... How do we help our family and each other?

Can the farmer help the electrician? How?

How does bartering start to work for trading?

bartering for chiropractic.

bater.jpg?width=300

By Gaye Levy

Guest writer for Wake Up World

Do you know how to barter?  In preparedness circles, the term barter is used a lot when describing a post SHTF situation when goods and services may no longer be available through normal channels.  According to Wikipedia, ”barter is a method of exchange by which goods or services are directly exchanged for other goods or services without using a medium of exchange, such as money”.

A lot of people think of bartering as something to do when they are down an out, perhaps unemployed, or low on cash.  But nothing could be further from the truth.  Bartering has been around from eons and is simply a smart way to acquire goods and services under the radar screen.

Today I would like to share some very simple tips for bartering as well as my own suggested list of items and skills that may be useful for barter in a post-collapse economy.

How does simple barter work?

In a simple barter, you look for someone who is looking for a particular kinds of goods or services in exchange for goods or services that you may want.  For example, let’s say you do plumbing work but you need a some gardening equipment.  A simple barter would be exchanging some plumbing repairs for a used plow or rototiller.

Getting started is easy.  One of the simplest things to do is to put up an small ad on the local community bulletin board, perhaps at the grocery store or bowling alley.  (And by the way, I don’t know why but bowling alley’s are particularly good for this sort of thing.)  You can also peruse Craigslist or the Little Nickel want ads for people trying to sell the item you need.  The next step is to simply phone them ask and suggest a trade.

One of the very best ways to barter, though, is to put the word out among like-minded friends, relatives and neighbors.  Let them know what you have for trade and see what they offer in return.  What I am describing here is bartering in its most simplistic form but I think you get the gist.

Beyond simple bartering there are more complicated and dare I say sophisticated scenarios such as three way barters and barter clubs.  But that gets beyond the scope of this article which is merely to get you into the bartering mindset.

The Best Items to Use For Barter in a Post-Collapse Word

There are a lot of different opinions as to what items will be best for barter in a post-collapse world where the underground economy may be the only viable economy for the passing of goods and services.  That said, consider this a starting point as you begin to acquire goods for barter.

In no particular order, consider accumulating some of the following items for barter purposes.  And keep in mind that in a post-collapse world, the items do not necessarily have to be new, but simply serviceable.

1. Water purification supplies including purification tabs and filters
  2. Hand tools including hatchets, saws, machetes and general fix-it tools
  3. Fire making supplies, including lighters, matches, flint fire steel
  4. Sanitary supplies including toilet paper, feminine products and diapers
  5. Disposable razors and razor blades
  6. Fuel, any and all kinds (gas, diesel, propane, kerosene)
  7. Prescription drugs, painkillers, and antibiotics
  8. First aid remedies such as cough syrup, cortisone cream, boil-ese, calamine lotion and topical pain relievers
  9. Spirits such as bourbon, rum, gin, and vodka
  10. Coffee and tea (instant coffee is okay)
  11. Solar battery charger and rechargeable batteries
  12. Standard Batteries
  13. Reading glasses
  14. Paracord
  15. Bags, including large garbage bags as well as smaller zip-close bags
  16. Plastic sheeting
  17. Duct tape
  18. Tie Wraps
  19. Heavy plastic sheets and tarps
  20. Toiletries including toothpaste, dental floss soaps, shampoo (tip: save those small sized toiletries that are provided by hotels and motels)
  21. Condoms
  22. Latex or Nitrile gloves in a variety of sizes
  23. Hard  candy
  24. Fishing supplies
  25. Knives of various types including fixed blades, kitchen knives, and box cutters.
  26. Condiments and Spices
  27. Paperback books on a variety of subjects
  28. Tobacco and cigarette rolling supplies
  29. Amusements such as playing cards, crossword puzzle books, Sudoku
  30. Pencils & paper
  31. Pepper spray
  32. Garden seeds
  33. Flashlights
  34. Vinegar and baking soda to use in DIY cleaning supplies
  35. Empty spray bottles and squirt bottles
  36. Hand pumps for both air and liquids
  37. Mylar blankets and tents
  38. Hand warmers
  39. Sewing and mending supplies
  40. Knitting or crochet needles and Yarn

One thing you will notice that I have not included firearms or ammo and for good reason.  In a post-collapse society, you might not know your barter partners well and may run the risk that they will use these items against you so that they can steal the rest of you stuff.  One person’s opinion, anyway.

HOW WILL YOU BE ABLE TO HELP AND HOW WOULD YOU LIKE OTHERS TO HELP YOU AND YOUR FAMILY?

You need to be a member of The Patriots For America to add comments!

Join The Patriots For America

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks Twana.

• Twana, This was a GREAT post! My family has many items on your list, as we are Preppers! Indeed, to barter is the way to do it. We too are loading up for it. One of my Survival sites includes food, gold, silver, liquor and cigarettes. YOU are an awesome Patriot!!!

• That's for sure!

• thanks this was very informative. have to pass it on to all my family and friends.

• Good post.  Thx, Twana.

• Big hand gun, Big shotgun, Bullets, a case, Big dog : )
    Food grade water containers 110 gallons plus a Waterbob for 30 day storage.
    2  55 gal. plastic garbage cans for rainwater storage for cleaning/bathing/flushing/laundry
    Cord of well seasoned wood /clean chimney/ or Kerosene heater/ fuel/ matches/kindling 
    Oil lamps and fuel/ candles with glass holders/mirrors 
    Batteries 20+ 
    Cook stove/30 sterno / cast iron kettle, dutch oven and frying pan for fireplace cooking
    4 heavy blankets and down blanket per person .mylar sleeping bags/mylar blankets
    Hats and gloves wool {not cotton} /warm slippers, thermo underwear 
    Generator with heavy-duty ext. cord 
    Water purifier/filters/tarp/poly piping/water drums/ boxes/plastic 
    Garden tiller / 3 canned NON-hybrid seeds/ 3 bags fertilizer
    black plastic garden rolls/tomato cages/garden tools/100 ft. water hose   
    Gas containers many  5 gal/gas preservative
    Push lawn mower
    Rat traps/insect traps {they will come!}
    $5-600.00 dependable water-proof tent {cheap tents don't last} / tent footprint/ shade canopy/ plastic sheeting/ extra plastic stakes/cords

Candles/matches 1000's /box of waterproof matches
    Inflatable boats/life jackets {if you live near water} 1 boat for people 1 for water/food/valuables
    Chain saw for cutting firewood, oil
    Insect repellent/netting
    Plastic sheeting
    Air pump 
    Duct Tape 5/ Tarp/rope/nails/shingles/tools/roofing nails
    Rain barrels/ poly piping/ large tarps for gathering water from roof
    Bicycles
    Canning jars, 4-8 cases, 30-50 boxes of lids, pressure cooker, and canning tools
    3-5 #10 cans of NON-HYBRID seeds ONLY. One can grows a football field size garden
    10-W-40 oil for car, filter, 5 gas cans, all car fluids, extra tire

For complete list go to "Prepare Before All Hell Breaks Loose!" at spiritwars.net. go to "Preparing physically."

• Times are tough and most folks will not be able to afford to prepare to the extent that the list calls for. The best thing we can do is prepare as best as we can and join together with our families and friends and band together to help each other get through it all. Most importantly, we should rely on Jesus for guidance and spiritual strength.

• You're right about that! It has taken me 3 yrs to prepare. Finally I'm totally prepared! Whew!

But I must say I got a lot of things at yard sales, sales, & buying food in bulk. I also had the foresight to sell my 2nd car and diamond ring. 

Another great prep is buying silver rounds. They're cheap now. About $35.00/oz. During hyper-inflation the experts say it could climb to $500.00/oz. of course a loaf of bread may be $33.00 or more. 

There is another page on my site, "Preparing Spiritually." If you aren't walking with Him now, you;ll crumble under the crisis. 

One word of advice, BE SO CAREFUL WHO KNOWS YOU HAVE WATER AND FOOD! People who haven't eaten for a few days will become desperate! And a gun w/ plenty of ammo is essential as is learning how to use it.

Blessings in Yeshua! 

Mary Kay

• I agree, one thing we must not do is let anyone convince us that the weak or very young drag us down and are a hazard to our survival. That's what this cabal has been teaching the young for quite some time, it turns us into monsters. Some of us may not be as spry as we once were, but it's those of us who are older who have not only the survival instict, but the experience to know things that do and don't work when times get tough. There's a reason that all societies used to value the aged for their wisdom, that's what taught the young about the hazards of life.

• Thank you Mary. Great information!

This reply was deleted.