Constitutional Emergency

Imagine the economic collapse happens......country is at a stand still....... Stores are out of supplies.... How do we help our family and each other?

Can the farmer help the electrician? How?

How does bartering start to work for trading?

bartering for chiropractic.

By Gaye Levy

Guest writer for Wake Up World

Do you know how to barter?  In preparedness circles, the term barter is used a lot when describing a post SHTF situation when goods and services may no longer be available through normal channels.  According to Wikipedia, ”barter is a method of exchange by which goods or services are directly exchanged for other goods or services without using a medium of exchange, such as money”.

A lot of people think of bartering as something to do when they are down an out, perhaps unemployed, or low on cash.  But nothing could be further from the truth.  Bartering has been around from eons and is simply a smart way to acquire goods and services under the radar screen.

Today I would like to share some very simple tips for bartering as well as my own suggested list of items and skills that may be useful for barter in a post-collapse economy.

How does simple barter work?

In a simple barter, you look for someone who is looking for a particular kinds of goods or services in exchange for goods or services that you may want.  For example, let’s say you do plumbing work but you need a some gardening equipment.  A simple barter would be exchanging some plumbing repairs for a used plow or rototiller.

Getting started is easy.  One of the simplest things to do is to put up an small ad on the local community bulletin board, perhaps at the grocery store or bowling alley.  (And by the way, I don’t know why but bowling alley’s are particularly good for this sort of thing.)  You can also peruse Craigslist or the Little Nickel want ads for people trying to sell the item you need.  The next step is to simply phone them ask and suggest a trade.

One of the very best ways to barter, though, is to put the word out among like-minded friends, relatives and neighbors.  Let them know what you have for trade and see what they offer in return.  What I am describing here is bartering in its most simplistic form but I think you get the gist.

Beyond simple bartering there are more complicated and dare I say sophisticated scenarios such as three way barters and barter clubs.  But that gets beyond the scope of this article which is merely to get you into the bartering mindset.

The Best Items to Use For Barter in a Post-Collapse Word

There are a lot of different opinions as to what items will be best for barter in a post-collapse world where the underground economy may be the only viable economy for the passing of goods and services.  That said, consider this a starting point as you begin to acquire goods for barter.

In no particular order, consider accumulating some of the following items for barter purposes.  And keep in mind that in a post-collapse world, the items do not necessarily have to be new, but simply serviceable.

1. Water purification supplies including purification tabs and filters
  2. Hand tools including hatchets, saws, machetes and general fix-it tools
  3. Fire making supplies, including lighters, matches, flint fire steel
  4. Sanitary supplies including toilet paper, feminine products and diapers
  5. Disposable razors and razor blades
  6. Fuel, any and all kinds (gas, diesel, propane, kerosene)
  7. Prescription drugs, painkillers, and antibiotics
  8. First aid remedies such as cough syrup, cortisone cream, boil-ese, calamine lotion and topical pain relievers
  9. Spirits such as bourbon, rum, gin, and vodka
  10. Coffee and tea (instant coffee is okay)
  11. Solar battery charger and rechargeable batteries
  12. Standard Batteries
  13. Reading glasses
  14. Paracord
  15. Bags, including large garbage bags as well as smaller zip-close bags
  16. Plastic sheeting
  17. Duct tape
  18. Tie Wraps
  19. Heavy plastic sheets and tarps
  20. Toiletries including toothpaste, dental floss soaps, shampoo (tip: save those small sized toiletries that are provided by hotels and motels)
  21. Condoms
  22. Latex or Nitrile gloves in a variety of sizes
  23. Hard  candy
  24. Fishing supplies
  25. Knives of various types including fixed blades, kitchen knives, and box cutters.
  26. Condiments and Spices
  27. Paperback books on a variety of subjects
  28. Tobacco and cigarette rolling supplies
  29. Amusements such as playing cards, crossword puzzle books, Sudoku
  30. Pencils & paper
  31. Pepper spray
  32. Garden seeds
  33. Flashlights
  34. Vinegar and baking soda to use in DIY cleaning supplies
  35. Empty spray bottles and squirt bottles
  36. Hand pumps for both air and liquids
  37. Mylar blankets and tents
  38. Hand warmers
  39. Sewing and mending supplies
  40. Knitting or crochet needles and Yarn

One thing you will notice that I have not included firearms or ammo and for good reason.  In a post-collapse society, you might not know your barter partners well and may run the risk that they will use these items against you so that they can steal the rest of you stuff.  One person’s opinion, anyway.

HOW WILL YOU BE ABLE TO HELP AND HOW WOULD YOU LIKE OTHERS TO HELP YOU AND YOUR FAMILY?

Views: 735

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you Mary. Great information!

Twana,

One thing that has to be accomplished is; that it will be IMPERATIVE that we get rid of the negativity.  You cannot acomplish what you set out to do with a "glass half empty attitude", or the "Oh...woe is me".  We need to have the attitude of: What do we need, What do we have to do to get it, and who else needs assistance? 

Something else is ORDER.  There will be enough chaos to go around, so you must establish internal civility within your group, as much as I hate to say it, CC & R's.........however unlike the normal "Little Adolf's" that are usually the heads of these groups. I would say the least essential rules for the community the better.  One of the biggest would be that nobody be allowed to "gouge" their neighbor in bartering; the goal is Survival until we can re-establish a Constitutional REPUBLIC.

Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus et Fidelis 

Covenants, Conditions, and Restrictions........"RULES"  We gotta have RULES......

The power of Barter can be felt on your very first exchange (Barter) and will become invaluable when the SHTF.

My suggestion would be to Barter something now and get a feel for it so that when the poop does fly, you will be the one with the experience and therefore should be the one making good trades. Years ago I met a guy that bought "stuff" at auctions at least twice a week. His front yard, the entire inside of his house, and the entire 1.5 acres in the backyard was filled with "stuff". Today we would call him a Hoarder, but the truth is he was just ahead of his time. He would buy truckloads of treated wood of all sizes for pennies on the dollar, and do the same for steel girders for building anything from a small bridge to a 5 story building. He had one section that had barrels full of nothing but nails. These were the large Oak barrels that whiskey was aged in, and they would be filled to capacity with one type of nail. In one area in his backyard he had about 50 of these barrels. Can you imagine the type of Barter trades he could make?! I doubt he's still alive, but he's the type of hoarder that you want to get to know... just in case.

Katy....hoarders are dysfunctional, those with severe cases cease to function in normal daily life.  We had a lady that was even worse living on our street in CA. Bi-Polar Hoarder......that is a hoarder on SERIOUS STERIODS........not good.  People who prepare, aren't hoarding, I consider them the "Ant" of the Ant and the Grasshopper.......they're meticulous in what they require.  That is simply good planning......but I get your drift, the 99%'ers think they're hip, they've lived on the "EDGE".......they have NO IDEA of what it means to be on the RAZOR'S EDGE...........and that is where we'll be.....

I am 53, never been in the situations we've been discussing here, doesn't mean that I didn't train for insurrections.......and it doesn't mean I don't believe the stories of what my great grandparents used to tell me........I thank God, I was blessed in knowing my family 3 generations back........

excellent and timely post.  However, if you do not have firearms for self protection or protection of your family, you may wish to think about it--- but learn the safe way to handle and store weapons otherwise your having the weapons could be more of a hazard.  In the Phoenix, Arizona area, there's  Shooters World, staffed with knowledgeable and helpful people; Same for northeast side in Scottsdale, Scottsdale Gun Club.  If (when) the crises hit, more people will turn to crime to survive.  It is good to get to really know more people that you can trust and band together.  Even a trained neighbor could help in firearms safety and knowledge.  Some of us have military and other combat training -- again check out your friends and neighbors -- the mantra is Survival, but we are in this fight together and we should be prepared as good citizens to help each other. Keep in mind that your ADT system is probably one of your defenses to go quickly - so make sure of easy access prevention -- dead bolt locks, security doors, Fence spikes (illegal in my area now, but after a crisis as expected, no one from City Hall is going to be giving you a citation);   We also need to figure out now how we will communicate if the internet and cell phones are cut off by the "executive power trip" -- obama learned from Morsi and Khomenei of Iran that those actions make it difficult for opposition to organize.  God Bless you all and this Country!

I have empathy for all of AZ, Brother Colin.....literaly, the crap that you are having to deal with down there with La Raza and people crossing the border, is completely unacceptable.  I'm just thankful that in spite of Gabby Gifford's incident, she still supports the 2nd Amendment......keeping the faith.......

Thank you for the list Twana, I guess I do have some of these things. I also know how to cut hair, having cut my husband's for over 40 years, and all my sons' as well as others. I went back to school online to update art skills, I now have some advertising training, without electricity the computer graphics wouldn't do a lot of good, but I can convert it to the natural art talents. It sounds like they intend to take everybody's homes so the fact I don't have a lot financially and am having trouble with mortgage and taxes probably puts me right in there with most others my age and physical limitations.

When my daughter was in a high school entrepreneurship class, the teacher told them to ask "old timers" how to fix the economy (1990's). Of course she asked me! I told her the country needed to return to the barter system until a true value without inflation was set for a person's labor and goods. Her teacher told her it would work but the people would never do it. I have a feeling he was very wrong.

100 Items to Disappear First in a Panic

I posted this list of 100 items to disappear first last summer. It’s been passed around the Internet for a while and it’s a great guide. Use the green print button at the bottom, fold it up and put it in your wallet. Then when you’re out and about at flea markets, dollar stores or wherever you end up, look it over and keep an eye out for good deals.
1. Generators (Good ones cost a lot. Noisy, target of thieves; maintenance, etc.)
2. Water Filters/Purifiers
3. Portable Toilets
4. Seasoned Firewood. Wood takes about 6 – 12 months to become dried.
5. Lamp Oil, Lamps, Wicks (Buy CLEAR oil. If scarce, stockpile ANY!)
6. Coleman Fuel. Impossible to stockpile too much.
7. Guns, Ammunition, Pepper Spray, Knives, Clubs, Bats & Slingshots.
8. Hand-can openers, & hand egg beaters, whisks.
9. Honey/Syrups/white, brown sugar
10. Rice – Beans – Wheat
11. Vegetable Oil (for cooking) Without it food burns/must be boiled etc.,)
12. Charcoal, Lighter Fluid (Will become scarce suddenly)
13. Water Containers Any size. Small: HARD CLEAR PLASTIC ONLY.
14. Mini Heater head (Propane) (Without this item, propane won’t heat a room.)
15. Grain Grinder (Non-electric)
16. Propane Cylinders (Urgent: Definite shortages will occur.)
17. Survival Guide Book
18. Mantles: Aladdin, Coleman, etc. (Without it, long-term lighting is difficult.)
19. Baby Supplies: Diapers/formula. ointments/aspirin, etc.
20. Washboards, Mop Bucket w/wringer (for Laundry)
21. Cookstoves (Propane, Coleman & Kerosene)
22. Vitamins
23. Propane Cylinder Handle-Holder
24. Feminine Hygiene/Haircare/Skin products
25. Thermal Underwear (Tops & Bottoms)
26. Bow saws, axes and hatchets, Wedges (also, honing oil)
27. Aluminum Foil Reg. & Heavy Duty (Great Cooking and Barter Item)
28. Gasoline Containers (Plastic & Metal)
29. Garbage Bags (Impossible To Have Too Many)
30. Toilet Paper, Kleenex, Paper Towels
31. Milk – Powdered & Condensed (Shake Liquid every 3 to 4 months)
32. Garden Seeds (Non-Hybrid) (A MUST)
33. Clothes pins/line/hangers (A MUST)
34. Coleman’s Pump Repair Kit
35. Tuna Fish (in oil)
36. Fire Extinguishers (or..large box of Baking Soda in every room)
37. First Aid Kits
38. Batteries (all sizes…buy furthest-out for Expiration Dates)
39. Garlic, spices & vinegar, baking supplies
40. Big Dogs (and plenty of dog food)
41. Flour, yeast & salt
42. Matches (“Strike Anywhere” preferred.) Boxed, wooden matches will go first
43. Writing paper/pads/pencils, solar calculators
44. Insulated ice chests (good for keeping items from freezing in Wintertime.)
45. Workboots, belts, Levis & durable shirts
46. Flashlights/LIGHTSTICKS & torches, “No. 76 Dietz” Lanterns
47. Journals, Diaries & Scrapbooks (jot down ideas, feelings, experiences)
48. Garbage cans – Plastic (great for storage, water, transporting – if with wheels)
49. Men’s Hygiene: Shampoo, Toothbrush/paste, Mouthwash/floss, etc.
50. Cast Iron Cookware (sturdy, efficient)
51. Fishing supplies/tools
52. Mosquito coils/repellent, sprays/creams
53. Duct Tape
54. Tarps/stakes/twine/nails/rope/spikes
55. Candles
56. Laundry Detergent (liquid)
57. Backpacks, Duffel Bags
58. Garden tools & supplies
59. Scissors, fabrics & sewing supplies
60. Canned Fruits, Veggies, Soups, stews, etc.
61. Bleach (plain, NOT scented: 4 to 6% sodium hypochlorite)
62. Canning Supplies (Jars/lids/wax)
63. Knives & Sharpening tools: files, stones, steel
64. Bicycles – Tires/tubes/pumps/chains, etc.
65. Sleeping Bags & blankets/pillows/mats
66. Carbon Monoxide Alarm (battery powered)
67. Board Games, Cards, Dice
68. d-con Rat poison, MOUSE PRUFE II, Roach Killer
69. Mousetraps, Ant traps & cockroach magnets
70. Paper plates/cups/utensils (stock up, folks)
71. Baby wipes, oils, waterless & Antibacterial soap (saves a lot of water)
72. Rain gear, rubberized boots, etc.
73. Shaving supplies (razors & creams, talc, after shave)
74. Hand Pumps & siphons (for water and for fuels)
75. Soysauce, vinegar, bullions/gravy/soupbase
76. Reading glasses
77. Chocolate/Cocoa/Tang/Punch (water enhancers)
78. “Survival-in-a-Can”
79. Woolen clothing, scarves/ear-muffs/mittens
80. Boy Scout Handbook
81. Roll-on Window Insulation Kit
82. Graham crackers, saltines, pretzels, Trail mix/Jerky
83. Popcorn, Peanut Butter, Nuts
84. Socks, Underwear, T-shirts, etc. (extras)
85. Lumber (all types)
86. Wagons & carts (for transport to and from)
87. Cots & Inflatable Mattresses
88. Gloves: Work/warming/gardening, etc.
89. Lantern Hangers
90. Screen Patches, glue, nails, screws,, nuts & bolts
91. Teas
92. Coffee
93. Cigarettes
94. Wine/Liquors (for bribes, medicinal, etc,)
95. Paraffin Wax
96. Glue, nails, nuts, bolts, screws, etc.
97. Chewing gum/candies
98. Atomizers (for cooling/bathing)
99. Hats & cotton neckerchiefs
100. Goats/chickens

Thanks,copied.

Excellent article, Twana...Keep up the good work..

Your blog is providing thetools necessary to survive..

If you have a well...this is an awesome product..it is power grid failure proof...co-exists with your electric well pump, won't freeze and it works great (I have one...so I know):

http://www.bisonpumps.com/index.htm

Having this could save you and your family and neighbors...

RSS

About

Old Rooster created this Ning Network.

This effort is focused on sacrifice to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic.

Fox News

Tech Notes

Thousands of Deadly Islamic Terror Attacks Since 9/11

HOW TO JOIN YOUR STATE GROUP

1. Click on State Groups tab at the top of the page.
2. Find your State Flag
3. Click on Flag.
4. Look for link to join Your State Group near the top of the State Groups page.
5. Click on it.

Follow the Prompts

How to post "live" URL in posts at PFA............. Adding URLs in blog posts that are not "live" is a waste of everyone's time.....
Here's how....if anyone has better guidance send to me.....
First........type your text entry into the post block to include typing or paste the URL you want us to view........when finished with the text, highlight and copy the URL in the text.......then click the "add hyperlink" tool in the B, I, U box just above the text entry, after clicking, a window will open asking for the URL...paste the URL in the box and click "OK". You have now made the URL "live"...........it shows some code before the post is published, it goes away when you "publish post".......

Events

© 2019   Created by Old Rooster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service