Constitutional Emergency

CPAC - Did It Demonstrate The Need For A Spiritual Revival?

Reflections On America’s Fall, From CPAC 2014

Matt Barber says there is no political fix to America's death spiral.

Share Tweet Email

Avatar of Matt BarberMatt Barber March 10, 2014

Photo credit: toner (Creative Commons)

The question is not, “Is America falling?” but, rather, “Why is America falling?”

I’m currently writing from CPAC 2014, the nation’s largest gathering of conservative political junkies. The event is being held at the beautiful Gaylord National hotel, adjacent to the scenic shoreline of the historic Potomac River. We’re just a few short miles from Washington, D.C., which, at least for now, remains the modern-day equivalent of the Roman Empire.

I say “at least for now” because America finds itself skipping along the primrose path to Rome’s ill-fated finale. I needn’t trouble you with evidence to that effect as this tragic reality is hopelessly inescapable. It’s a self-evident truth. Unless our next generation of leaders – Gen-Y Millennials – can successfully turn things around, we’re up the Potomac without a paddle.

The day’s speeches have ended, and conference-going night revelers are about. The indoor balcony to my 12th-floor room faces, as the hotel website accurately boasts, a “spectacular 18-story glass atrium.” My balcony door is open wide, and the bustling din from several parties across the cavernous vestibule soaks the room.

A chorus has begun. What is this? Have party-goers launched an impromptu rendering of “America the Beautiful”?

No, this is a chant, joined by scores – a hundred or more perhaps – of young conservative bacchanalians on multiple suite balconies and from the open air bar below. What is that they’re chanting? Is that, “Amer-i-ca! Amer-i-ca!”?

At first, it’s hard to tell. It’s a booming echo that reverberates throughout the entire hotel.

And then it becomes clear.

Alas, our next generation of conservative leaders are not chanting, “Amer-i-ca! Amer-i-ca!” They are, instead, chanting, “F**k O-bama! F**k O-bama!”

And I hang my head.

So, now, children at the hotel, parents, staff, tourists – both foreign and domestic – and every other conceivable variety of guest who happens to be staying at the Gaylord National hotel during CPAC 2014 has a skewed, and likely irreversible, first impression of America’s conservative movement.

Or is it skewed?

Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m certain that the vast majority of CPAC attendees, both young and old, are as appalled and embarrassed by these drunken yuck monkeys as am I.

But I think the very fact that these blazer-clad, Cro-Magnon morons could even imagine, for a moment, that it’s somehow cool to publicly chant “F**k Obama!” – or “F**k” anything for that matter – speaks to a much larger problem, not just within the conservative movement, but, more importantly, within our entire culture.

I’m never going to win a popularity contest. It’s not my goal to be liked. I’ll probably never be a “Fox News contributor” or even broadly recognized as a dutifully compliant cog within the greater, GOP-heavy “conservative” political wheel.

That’s because I say things like this: There is no political fix to America’s death spiral.

We are drowning in a turgid river of postmodern relativism. This is a spiritual problem, not a political problem. This is a worldview matter, not a partisan matter.

Hitherto it has been “progressives” alone dumping buckets of moral relativist poison into the Potomac. But, in the last decade or so, self-styled “conservatives” have likewise begun drinking the subjectivist Kool-Aid.

Libertine libertarianism has infected the conservative movement like a cancer. Situational ethics, driven by emotional, anecdotal sob stories, are used to justify every moral wrong as an absolute right. “Get off the social issues!” they demand. “Gay marriage? No problem.”

These gun-toting, free-market “conservatives” (of which I’m both) grace us with beauties like this: “I’m a ‘pro-choice,’ ‘pro-gay’ conservative,” or, “Yeah, I’m shacking up with my girlfriend, big deal.”

Relativism blurs the fixed lines of demarcation between right and wrong, which leads to the abolition of absolute truth, which leads to pockets of moral anarchy, which leads to Barack Obama and Eric Holder deciding which laws to ignore and which laws to enforce, which leads to lawlessness, which leads to chaos.

Welcome to chaos.

Yes. The “social issues” matter.

The battle is not Republican vs. Democrat. Neither is it conservative vs. liberal. The battle precedes time itself. The battle is right vs. wrong. The battle is moral vs. immoral. The battle is truth vs. the lie.

The battle is between good and evil.

We’ve been playing political Ping-Pong for decades. We’ve been, as they say, rearranging the chairs on the Titanic while Democrats take the helm for a spell, and Republicans take the helm for a spell.

The reality is that both political parties have driven us into the iceberg, and then pranced off together, hand-in-hand, to play best-of-three racquetball at the congressional bathhouse.

While here at CPAC, I met an interesting fellow by the name of Frank Mitchell. Frank founded the Memphis-based, classically conservative group “A Shining City on a Hill.” During our discussion, Frank said this: “There is no liberty without justice. Liberty without justice is only license.”

Libertine libertarianism.

America cannot survive under a worldview that embraces unrestricted moral license. Such license destroys the individual. And such license destroys the nation.

“Liberty without justice is only license.”

There is only one Arbiter of true justice. And justice is defined by Him, not by us. He sets the parameters. As both individuals, and as a nation, we are ill-advised to breach those parameters and well-served to maintain them.

America does not need a political fix. America needs a spiritual fix.

Read more at
http://www.westernjournalism.com/reflections-americas-fall-cpac-2014/#UXvtUJYbHAJ71EDz.99

Views: 1561

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Patricia, I believe we are to police our own selves and turn those over that disrupt our peaceful gathering.

I CERTAINLY AGREE WITH PATRICIA AND PRAY THE OAS IS IN HIS WILL, WE WILL SEE HOW HE WORKS IT  ALL OUT  AND USE US TO DO THIS.  GOD IS GOOD AND HIS WAYS ARE NOT OURS.....PATIENCE.LORD, GIVE US PATIENCE AND DO IT "YESTERDAY!!!!" WE LOVE YOU, LORD!

Yes we need a religious revolution. The revolution could be so simple. Tell the U.S. government to go ahead and remove the tax exempt status of every church and begin spreading the word as they should be. It would not take too long to remove the crooks from within our government and crush the progressives if this were to happen. Then the churches could have their precious tax exempt status back. Is that really what churches are all about now days? Do they value the almighty dollar more than the souls of their congregation? That is the beginning of the revolution that is needed. Turn the church back to God and away from money.

Our Gov't uses church-goers' money to promote anti-Christianity, and the church keeps silent. Preachers feel disloyal to the government if they even mention it. We mistakenly find comfort in believing that we don't have to do anything "bc God will take control and judge them". The church has perennially believed that God literally establishes politicians in power, . Since early times, God's people fought great battles against tyrannical kings who were God's enemies.

If the church loses tax exempt status, it will not change the government's behavior in funding abortions, homosexuality, atheist education...and everything anti-Christian. So, there's no advantage in staying tax-exempt. On the other hand, if the church pays its taxes, they will have full freedom to speak God's truth, which will fundamentally change the malignant political field we are in right now.

I'd rather pay my due taxes to a church in order to be free, than pay it directly to an atheist government for misuse. Further financial sustainability should not be an issue for the church. "God will take control and judge us".

You are right! The churches are failing us, America, the Constitution, and God.

Look up how the United Methodist, Presbyterian USA, and Episcopal denomination HQ are promoting and protecting Islam under a voluntary "interreligious program" of tolerance. I will never support these fools are NOT Christian or Godly. They are doing the devil's work for him.

Then look up Muslim Beheadings and watch a few. These animals are what we are supposed to tolerate?

Why is America Failing? Yes I agree it is a Spiritual malnutrition. We The People need our First Amendment working. It's been dislocated. Put on the sideline to 'watch the big sports games and the entertainment industry.' We The People need our media "Fairness Act" working again. Free speech is to belong to the citizens. It's the individual rights. In the 70's the individual rights were no more. The First American Amendment stopped working for the American Citizen. The First Amendment became allowed to be cast to corporations as personal entities. Which their not. The American people need their First Amendment. The Nazi media, it's UN-American. Behavior that is bribes are now quid pro quo. That's just unacceptable. The deceitful use of the definition of words is a real root that needs to be uprooted. The covering of news is only that a baby blanket that they are covering up with. The First Amendment requires maturity and strength to "Report" with not "cover."  The deeper rooted problem of Our elections is in OUR media. The miss use of OUR First Amendment. Then the voting system. During 1996 the politicians changed the way the air-way were written. As in re-written by politicians. (Deceit, as is not even having the wisdom to know what is is.) The radio stations need to be brought back to the individual citizens. Not the Clear channel Corporations. It is an American responsibility. Not corporates. That includes the gate keepers to be the Reporters not the owners to be the cover up. It is deceit to not report the news as to what the American People should be told and even taught. It's a freaking shame to have 'stories covered.' It's like their either all a bunch of babies being taught how and what to say or they're in bed with them. That is not the First Amendment. And Congress is a Spiritual Drunkard. Yes We The People need Spiritual Nutrition.

Ok I'm out.  Obviously,  as a libertarian atheist, I'm not needed.   I asked the question earlier, and was determined to be "a distraction" after only a few replies.  I will not stand on The Mall with people who would just as soon judge me as less than themselves due to their "Faith".  Other will feel this same "judgement" and not show.  Because of this, the movement WILL FAIL.  My patriotism is beyond reproach, but I will not give my life in a futile attempt that is destined to fail.  Pray for wisdom and tolerance folks, then maybe your God will smile on you.  I myself will not bow to "Conservative religious tyrants, any more than I will bow to "Liberal anti-Constitutional tyrants"    Good luck, you're going to need it.    

Fred, I looked for your said post and could not find them, so I will comment on this one. All patriots are needed. We are all different, thanks to our Creator. Some make friends, some do not. I hate you feel you are not needed..

Fred, the comments we all read here are entirely individual, and that's one of the first principles Col. Riley established for this movement. Others may have different ways of thinking or expressing their convictions, but the ultimate goal is the return to our Constitution. Let's not deviate from that. I would immediately join any other group (atheist or not) trying to do what OAS is being formed for. The current urgent state of the nation calls for people of action. If we agree that country is first, our feelings can wait.

Fred, whether you are religious or not you must realize that the country was founded on the basis of Christian values. To hold those values you do not have to be a Christian or actually even believe in God. Has someone said that you have to be a Christian, Jew, Catholic or some other faith or you are less? If they did they are mistaken. Good people simply have to hold the same values on life as a whole the way I see it. There are religious zealots that will attempt to save everyone because that is what they believe that God tells them to do but most offer their blessings and move on. If you are so offended by Christian principles in general I am sorry that you feel that way but that is exactly what is needed to remove ourselves from the cesspool that we are now living in. VALUES, mind you, no one is demanding that you to go to church or worship anything. If you can't live with that I am sorry you wont participate, we need all patriots aboard. However to say that we will fail because of some that feel as you do sounds more like wishful thought than true prediction based on logical thought.

Fred lll , I , like Van , looked and can not find any other post from you . If you are a true libertarian then you should work on being more tolerant ! From my point of view you do as you please , I do as I please , as long as you do not tread on my freedoms ! Is that not the true libertarian stance ? Why you want to let these fanatics ruin your day ? I am a devout Christian but I do not feel this is the time or place to force any of my beliefs on anyone , we are here fighting for our nation , my God can take care of the rest ! Hope you stick around !

RSS

About

Old Rooster created this Ning Network.

This effort is focused on sacrifice to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic.

Fox News

Tech Notes

Thousands of Deadly Islamic Terror Attacks Since 9/11

HOW TO JOIN YOUR STATE GROUP

1. Click on State Groups tab at the top of the page.
2. Find your State Flag
3. Click on Flag.
4. Look for link to join Your State Group near the top of the State Groups page.
5. Click on it.

Follow the Prompts

How to post "live" URL in posts at PFA............. Adding URLs in blog posts that are not "live" is a waste of everyone's time.....
Here's how....if anyone has better guidance send to me.....
First........type your text entry into the post block to include typing or paste the URL you want us to view........when finished with the text, highlight and copy the URL in the text.......then click the "add hyperlink" tool in the B, I, U box just above the text entry, after clicking, a window will open asking for the URL...paste the URL in the box and click "OK". You have now made the URL "live"...........it shows some code before the post is published, it goes away when you "publish post".......

Events

© 2019   Created by Old Rooster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service