Replies

• Cool idea. Thanks.
  • Thank you.

• excellent! thanks

• Nice, good to have, thanks

• A great tool to use, but it would be helpful to check the topo against a known map, such as Mapquest. Probably because I'm in a remote hidden area of forest on the north shore of Lake Eufaula, there are a number of discrepancies on the topo, as well as Mapquest Satellite view. I'm going to get in touch with the County Commissioner and see if I can get those errors corrected, such as the 'name' of my road is showing on a road 1/2 mile away, and roads that don't exist, aren't through roads, and two showing to go right through the middle of two homes in the max zoom! The road department here even has problems finding some of the roads, and invariably gets the grader into some sticky situations!

Don't rely on Google maps to pinpoint an address, as it showed the meeting place for our last meet up as being in the middle of Checotah, while it was actually a mile away on the opposite side of the highway!

• Hmmmmm....if it was me, Stingray, I would just let the errors stay.  I'm just saying....

• haha ... I would do that too ... it is better if we are more invisible

• Judy and Roy, that's why it so important for us to all get together and know our areas. The errors are what any opposition will unknowingly go by, so if we know the actual layout, we have a distinct advantage!

As for my area, doesn't matter where road names are shown, as NONE of the roads here have signs posted, and addresses aren't by name, just route and 'box' number!

• yes ...

but don't forget, at the last census, they made it a point to actually have gps location of all homes ... I do imagine they have satellite pictures of everything, showing a lot more details than they do have online

at least for those "outsiders" going in our areas may be confused with the maps and signposts, etc ... do not count on it for too long ... when things get serious and they upgrade their work, they probably would send in experienced ones who have had lots better maps and guidance ...

• Agreed, but in my area, with no street names, and no addresses on the homes (they're all on a group of mailboxes a half mile away) they don't have any names, just a position of a house, many of which are only occupied by weekenders. GPS positions won't correspond to inaccurate maps as far as title searches unless an accurate overlay can be done. The 'official' title plats that I've seen are indistinguishable as many homes are not visible on those plats due to the forest canopy covering them, as well as many roads, which is probably why so many aerial maps are incorrect.

This reply was deleted.

Activity

Oldrooster posted a discussion
20 hours ago
Sunday
Apr 8
Mar 31
Mar 27