"About the time I calm down over all of the government foolishness I read something like this. So we paid people FULL TIME to press and keep Officer's uniforms in shape but we charge a man for equipment that was damaged when he was in an IED blast. I couldn't be more pissed off"
Leta Carruth

Watch video interview of Sgt Michael Williams at link below.

http://www.kcentv.com/story/23748725/ft-hood-soldier-charged-for-gear-after-ied-blast

You can't put a price tag on surviving a deadly attack overseas, but one Fort Hood soldier knows the cost of the helmet that saved his life all too well.

"I had a couple shrapnels in my side plates and in my helmet," Army Sergeant Michael Williams said about the gear that protected him on June 13, 2011.

Now, more than two years after the day he was wounded by an improvised explosive device in Iraq, he got a "bill" for his shrapnel-pierced helmet.

"I automatically assumed that, you know, that's the gear that I got blown up in, that I almost died in, and I lost two buddies in, and I didn't think anything of it."

A few months after the blast injured his back and head, Mike says he cleared his missing gear with supply personnel, but admits he didn't continue to regularly check on his status regarding missing gear, like he should have.

Then when he went through finance to medically retire in September, he got a statement of charges.

It lists $280.80 for his helmet, $25.99 for his neck pad, plus $335.42 for other gear that someone stole from a shipping container on the way back from the deployment.

Mike's leadership says paying the $642.21 total is where Mike went wrong.

"The Soldier's unit initiated a Financial Liability Investigation of Property Loss. While the investigation was in progress, Sgt. Williams voluntarily paid for the missing equipment, now the unit is looking into possible options to help the Soldier," a 1st Cavalry Division, 3rd Brigade Combat Team Public Affairs Officer said.

For now, Mike is taking the financial hit, while he, his wife and their two kids do what they can to cut back on spending.

He said, "It put me negative. I haven't been able to pay my mortgage for this month, so I'm kind of behind on that, and then my wife actually pulled some money out of her other account."

He's also put off the cost of training for his new civilian career, driving commercial vehicles.

"You know it's partially my fault, but at the same time, it really should never happen, because I'm not the only person it's happened to," Mike said. 

Still, he says he's extremely grateful his unit is trying to find a way to help him.

He medically retires from the Army this month.

Reporter: Sophia Stamas sstamas@kcentv.com

Photographer: Chris Buford cbuford@kcentv.com

You need to be a member of The Patriots For America to add comments!

Join The Patriots For America

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Why don't this shock me? This is what our military has come to anymore. What next, our service members paying for transportation to the battlefield? Yet Congress and the Senate gets ObummerCare paid for by YOU the tax payers WoW. It really is time to replace them all and I mean ALL too. Better yet pay them for the time they actually work and any travel cost should come out of that pay, whew.

• I agree!! 

• Welcome to the world of obummer.

• Does anyone know how to start up a crowd funding campaign at Indiegogo? This would be a great mission to fund.

• I just sent it to the Blaze. Perhaps they'll pick up the story to assure it gets the proper spotlight and resolution.

• This is OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I'm so fed up with what is going on.  Come Jesus.  I want out of this rising evil and insanity. 

• I'M WITH YOU.....ME, I WOULD SEND THE BILL TO OBAMA, NO RETURN ADDRESS.......

• WE KEEP TAKEN IT ( AND THEY WILL CONTINUE TO GIVE === MICE 0R MEN WHICH ONE ? === ) .

• WHEN ARE WE GOING TO STAND UP, WE CAN END THIS IF MILLIONS MARCH INTO WASHINGTON AND DEMAND CHARGES AGAINST OBAMA, TREASON FOR ONE..

• I ask you to consider the large list of ways this administration has stepped on and abused our military and they are watching.  This administration is attempting to redefine who is and who isn't the enemy. Look at the "rules of engagement" they are forced to fight under. How they are charged with ROE crimes for defending themselves. How they have been dis-armed of personal weapons on base. How PTSD is an excuse to violate their 2nd Amendment rights. They see how weapons and money are handed out like candy to other factions (al qeda/cartels). How their medical and other benefits are being reduced. How multiple deployments have torn apart families. The methods their votes (by absentee ballots) are being suppressed. The total violation of their rights to openly practice their Christian faith. How obozo danced on bin ladin's killing to out Seal Team 6. How those same members of Seal Team 6 were ordered onto a single large cargo chopper and it was mysteriously shot down.  How this administration mourned the drug overdose of Whitney Houston but ignored the loss of the hero of Chris Kyle. The "omission" of sending a rescue effort to Benghazi.  

(if you can think of more to add to this list, pls email me)

This reply was deleted.