GOP senators: Thousands of ballots unlikely to reach military voters in time

The Hill

By Ramsey Cox

A group of Republican senators said Monday that thousands of voter ballots are unlikely to reach military service members until after Nov. 6.

One day ahead of the election, Sens. John Cornyn (R-Texas), Kelly Ayotte (R-N.H.), John McCain (R-Ariz.), Rob Portman (R-Ohio) and Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) sent a letter to Defense Secretary Leon Panetta to express their concern over delays in ballots reaching military voters overseas.

“We write to express concerns over another serious failure by the Department of Defense (DoD) to safeguard the voting rights of our overseas military service members, which we believe could result in the imminent disenfranchisement of thousands,” the letter stated.

Mail redirection in the military can take between 14 to 50 days, meaning a ballot could reach the voter possibly more than a month after ballots have to be mailed back in order to be counted. The Military Postal Service Agency (MPSA) identified problems with the system after the 2010 election, but hasn’t implemented changes.

“DoD’s failure to fix this longstanding problem means that the blank ballots of thousands of overseas service members, as well as some who have recently returned from overseas, could be currently trapped in an archaic and inefficient mail forwarding system,” the senators wrote. “These ballots are unlikely to reach these service members until after Election Day has passed."

The senators advised Panetta to create a centralized mail redirection system and modernize military mail delivery.

“We are perplexed as to why DoD did not do everything in its power to modernize the system for redirecting blank ballots in order to eliminate this roadblock for military service members, per the top 2010 recommendations from MPSA,” the letter stated. “As we know you agree, they deserve to have a voice in choosing their elected leaders. Our men and women in uniform should be able to participate in the very same democratic system of government that they defend, not be relegated to mere spectator status because their ballot never reached them.”

The senators asked that a new mail system be in place by the next election, in 2014.

Views: 584

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So, now what?  One of the most important elections in history and our soldiers who are fighting for our country are not going to have voice in this election? What is going to happen in New York City, New Jersey and Pennsylvania after just going through one of the worst storms on record?  How can this election be fair or even held under these circumstances?

This election is going be one of the most crooked, slighted, and corrupt disgraces that the WORLD will ever witness. I'm sure Obama's Black Panthers and perhaps Nations of Islam buddies, will be out "supporting" Obama with their sticks and their antagonizing attitude towards the voters as they go inside the polling place to vote. Eric Holder appeared to be okay with this in 2008 and I'm sure he won't do anything about it this year if his buddy wins.   Governor Romney….PLEASE GET RID OF HOLDER WHEN YOU WIN THIS ELECTION!!!

Back to voter fraud and not allowing our soldiers to vote.   You should already realize that the reporters from the liberal television news channels along with the newspapers and other periodicals are going to give you only their liberal cocken-eyed bullshit.   If Romney wins - all these leftist, liberally minded organizations and people will give you their line of crap and insist that a recount be made as well as an investigation into voter fraud. "How Dare Romney Win!”  I can now see in large-bolded-lettering in the following morning periodicals and elsewhere.   

However, if the current individual - who has screwed this country for four years without a kiss wins -  all these Liberals will be shouting how fair and balanced the voting system is and “See the system works” and “what soldiers?” and “there is no such thing as voter fraud because Obama...BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH”.      Yeah?

Once again and most importantly, How about our Military?  See, Obama has no respect for our military, our police officers, even the secret service men and women who are sworn to protect this idiot.  LET ME SAY THIS AGAIN.   THE UNITED STATES MILITARY WHO ARE OVERSEAS TRYING TO COMBAT TERRORISM, THE MEN AND WOMEN WHO HAVE GIVEN THEIR LIFES FOR THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA – WILL NOT BE ABLE TO VOTE IN THIS ELECTION???   SEROUSLY !!!?  RETURN BACK TO NORMAL LIFE AFER LEAVING THE MILITARY. 

The answer is "THIS ELECTION WILL NOT BE FAIR AND BALANCED UNLESS OUR MILITARY ARE ALLOW TO VOTE !!”.  You think Obama is really going to do something like fixing this in time?   He and his cronies knew about this when it happened during the election in 2008 but did not fix the problem.   OBAMA DOESN’T WANT OUR MILITARY TO VOTE BECAUSE THEY KNOW HOW HE FEELS ABOUT THEM AND KNOWS THAT THEY WILL VOTE FOR ROMNEY. 

HOW MUCH MORE DISGRACE CAN THIS COUNTRY STAND !!

So, if Obama wins, we are not only fucked big time, but our country will fall even faster into the abyss under his regime in the next four years.  We will end up so far down inside a black hole we won’t be able to see the light of day any longer.  All of our rights, especially the 2nd Amendment of the Constitution, will be a thing of the past.  I heard that Obama is probably building up his own personal “protection force”  (in some countries referred to as “The Black Robes” or the “Religious Police” )  and it definitely will CHANGE America.  Remember “Hope and Change”.  GODL HELP US !!

God Save the United States from this individual who was originally taken by the charm of Obama.  However Obama proved that those people really had SOME AUDACITY TO HOPE !!! 

Please, I pray that this country will, under new leadership, be the most powerful nation in the world once again.  Please pray that Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan become the next President and Vice President of the United States of America. 

There is a department in the military that gets $10 million to make sure ballots are given to those out of country or not at home. It's a disgrace that they are not being given their right to vote but they can die to protect the votes by those who cheat and lie to vote for a man who knows most in the military would vote against him and his power mad cronies. My question becomes where did the $10 million go and to whom and what for? Accountability for all actions performed by this illegal circle of snakes will be on the world stage one way or another in the near future either in court or in battlefields across this great nation cause we the people will not let this country fall from inside.

Be in place by 2014, well "whoopy tee doo" if that egg sucking pig is re-elected there will be no 2014 election.

HONORABLE CARL LEVIN –CHAIRMAN SENATE COMMITTEE ARMED SERVICES 

Subject:  Military Ballots Being Counted

What an absolute travesty to have your name mentioned in the same sentence as the group that comprises the most honorable segment of our American Society. It cheapens their honored reputation even further as you, the appointed Chairman of an alleged Senatorial Committee that should protect, preserve, and initiate such actions that would most benefit them, as their life's blood and sacrifice allow even you in your obvious ineptitude to masquerade as their champion.

I sit here tonight on the eve of the most important election in the history of this country and I am appalled, disgusted, and enraged that I see once again, that thousands and thousands of our Armed Services members are once again disenfranchised from voting in a Presidential Election due to the incompetence, inaction, disregard, and total lack of follow-up on the part of Secretary of Defense, Leon Panetta, his Staff, and obviously yourself.

This scenario was well publicized in 2008, as well as in previous elections, and was not supported in any way, shape or form by the Democratic Party of which you are a proud, card carrying member. But of course, we were told this would never happen again under the scrutiny of newly, elected President Barack Hussein Obama, the astute purveyor of all that is transparent and fair to all his constituents, yet here we are again.

We were assured by you and your party disciples that an overseas Military Distribution System for Military Absentee Ballots would be designed and implemented. You had almost four years to accomplish this and as recently as four months ago the devised system was all-ready being declared as in-efficient and close to unworkable and in-undated with flimsy excuses. Additionally, the ironic consequence that Military personnel usually vote Republican must certainly have been a myth except in Panetta's or your perception. How reprehensible you both are to have failed in this effort and believe me, it will not go unnoticed. Nor will your absence of Committee involvement in this disdainful Benghazi debacle, where deceit, distortions, and deflection are the new normal for your White House cohorts. I find it utterly laughable that any of you could remotely describe yourself as even being close to the status of an authentic American Patriot. 

Your complicity in the parody of the Democratic ‘Arab Spring’ and ultimate take over of the Muslim Brotherhood to include their functional liaison in operational aspects of the present White House Administration is quasi-treasonous at best and lastly your benign participation regarding your Leader’s obvious disdain toward Israel, the country of your heritage once again speaks volumes as to your lack of integrity and character. It is apparent, that there is no way at this point to rectify the Military Absentee Ballot situation and you should be personally ashamed that your lack of involvement, effort, and follow-up facilitated this end result and if you had any real courage, you would resign your Chairmanship immediately.

But Politicians never resign, do they, Mr. Levin. They insist on perpetuating their tainted ideologies, incompetence, and self adulation ad-nauseum until such time an informed and educated electorate cut their losses. Lest you think that I’m some eccentric, misguided, radical Tea Party enthusiast, fear not. I’m just a former executive for a Fortune 500 company, a Marine, who still believes in never leaving your comrades behind, contrary to the Administration’s current ideology, and above all just a plain, old,  American. Really! Try it sometime, you might like it. You need not charge one of your subordinates with providing me with one of your canned responses.  Your anemic response to the deplorable situation cited is sufficient evidence as to the non-credibility of any excuse or answer you may craft.

RSS

About

Old Rooster created this Ning Network.

This effort is focused on sacrifice to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic.

Fox News

Tech Notes

Thousands of Deadly Islamic Terror Attacks Since 9/11

HOW TO JOIN YOUR STATE GROUP

1. Click on State Groups tab at the top of the page.
2. Find your State Flag
3. Click on Flag.
4. Look for link to join Your State Group near the top of the State Groups page.
5. Click on it.

Follow the Prompts

How to post "live" URL in posts at PFA............. Adding URLs in blog posts that are not "live" is a waste of everyone's time.....
Here's how....if anyone has better guidance send to me.....
First........type your text entry into the post block to include typing or paste the URL you want us to view........when finished with the text, highlight and copy the URL in the text.......then click the "add hyperlink" tool in the B, I, U box just above the text entry, after clicking, a window will open asking for the URL...paste the URL in the box and click "OK". You have now made the URL "live"...........it shows some code before the post is published, it goes away when you "publish post".......

Events

© 2020   Created by Old Rooster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service