Remember this....."we have to pass the bill to see what's in it?" Isn't Tom Coburn and Pat Toomey special now? And Toomey, we now know he didn't want a set at the table of restoration for our country, he just wanted a chair at the table of corruption!

Twana

http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2013/04/11/gun-bill-passes-senate-cloture-despite-the-fact-that-no-senator-has-actually-seen-it/

The gun bill passed cloture in the Senate with 68 votes today.

How does this happen, in what we are told is the world’s greatest deliberative body, when senators have not even seen the text of the legislation?

Speaking on the Senate floor minutes before the vote to move gun-control legislation forward, Mike Lee (R., Utah) urged postponing the cloture vote because none of his Senate colleagues has yet had a chance to read the entire bill. “We’re trying to prevent the ability of members to push through legislation before anyone has had the time to read and evaluate the language,” Lee said. “As of this morning, as of this very moment, not a single senator has been provided the legislative text of” the background-check provision proposed yesterday by senators Joe Manchin and Pat Toomey, which Lee said was the “centerpiece of this legislation.”

The cloture vote does not guarantee that the bill will pass, but it does now put it up to a simple majority vote in the Senate. Democrats have the majority in the Senate, and often vote with their party rather than vote with what their constituents want. They did that very thing when they passed ObamaCare, and had not read that bill before passing it either. Democrat Mary Landrieu, for instance, is from a red state, but she’ll do what the party tells her to do after extracting some meaningless concessions. The pressure will then mount on the House to kill it. Obama’s political army OFA is already emailing its minions to keep the pressure up on Congress to pass the bill — which no one has actually read.

But table that for a minute. President Obama promised that Americans would have 72 hours to read bills, which would be posted online, before they would be voted on or passed. Instead of that, we have an opaque government that continues voting on laws that even members of Congress have not read.

This is unacceptable in a republic. We should not be passing bills in order to find out what is in them.

Bryan Preston has been a leading conservative blogger and opinionator since founding his first blog in 2001. Bryan is a military veteran, worked for NASA, was a founding blogger and producer at Hot Air, was producer of the Laura Ingraham Show and, most recently before joining PJM, was Communications Director of the Republican Party of Texas.

You need to be a member of The Patriots For America to add comments!

Join The Patriots For America

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I guess it's good to post information like this to keep folks up to date on what's going on in Congress, BUT REALLY does anyone expect responsible legislation out of this group of lemmings?

• I think we all know which way the hotbed of liberals, Massachusetts, is going to go.

• Yup...don't even have to look at the list!

• Jerry, its not only liberals we have to worry about. Look at McCain and Graham.. We have many that are siding with this administration...As Twana says, its now time to prepare for what is coming.. Its not going to be pretty.  

• Good bye to the US Senate.

• I would agree, except we are surrounded by states that have the same mindset. That doesn't mean I don't try, but it does get frustrating to talk to people that I know are intelligent but so naïve as to what our country has turned into. They just don't get it and don't want to. I think I would have to go several states away from the northeast to find people who get it. I won't stop trying here though, buttttttt!!!!!  

• Mr.Preston -- while we were distracted with other matters  the enemy has crept in amongst us and has stolen our republic.The republican form of government has been supplanted by the democracy so loved by the progressive and so mistrusted by the Founders.Modern politicians of both Party  violate the Constitution at will -and they allow the Executive to do so as well-- and that third branch the Judiciary is equally culpable in he demise of the republican form of government established under God. The house and Nation are  divided against themselves And if the foundations are destroyed what can the righteous do?I put my trust in God for cursed is the man who puts his trust in manand makes flesh his arm and is turned from God.

• Well, apparently "we will continue to do everything in our power to prevent it" shows just how committed they are - as they have proven in the past....they could have stopped it all back in January when they voted to ratify the corrupt election of this regime, but apparently, they did not find it in their power to do so.  So how can we trust that they will have any more "power" on this issue?  More congressional high drama shenanigans....more grandstanding. 

• Well, according to the MORONS on Faceboook, don't you think we should all CALL, WRITE, EMAIL and VISIT these cretins and DEMAND that they listen to We The People?  Please.

TO ARMS, people

• Yea...been having "arguments" with the fools and doltish cads...wasting my time...

This reply was deleted.