President Obama has signed 23 executive orders designed to address the problem of gun violence in America. The following are the items addressed:
Gun Violence Reduction Executive Actions:
1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.
2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.
3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.
4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.
5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.
6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.
7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.
8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).
9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.
10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make itwidely available to law enforcement.
11. Nominate an ATF director.
12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.
13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.
14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.
15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effectiveuse of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to developinnovative technologies.
16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.
17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.
18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.
19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.
20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.
21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.
22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.
23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.
It does not appear that any of the executive orders would have any impact on the guns people currently own-or would like to purchase- and that all proposals regarding limiting the availability of assault weapons or large ammunition magazines will be proposed for Congressional action. As such, any potential effort to create a constitutional crisis—or the leveling of charges that the White House has overstepped its executive authority—would hold no validity.
There isn't any authority for executive orders to have any weight on the civilian populace. They are meant as memos to the executive branch. Legislation of law is accomplished by the Congress. If you don't understand this, you are not as profieicent with the Constitution and the Federalis Papers as you think.
I agree with you but as we all know this "Person in the White House" don't give a shit about the Constitution and/or Congress and he will try to make them all laws period. Congress don't have the balls to stand up to him and THAT is the real problem we have here. And you KNOW he will try to make these Ex. Orders laws as fast as possible. Will he make it? I sure hope not but if we are waiting for Congress Either the house or Senate to stop him we are in deep POO POO.... Just my opinion though.
That's nice to say, Allen, but where have you been?
You are correct that EOs are NOT "law" but don't tell the MORONS that think that they are...like CONgress and the SCOTUS because they don't give a damn...
Whenever some buffoon writes an EO these days, it is "law"...just ask them.
The title of this article infers that this was done TODAY.....the article is from January......I am in agreement with Tony W....If The Post Turtle refuses to follow Constitutional Law, why should we follow what spews from his mouth/pen as if it has some merit or weight.
Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus et Fidelis
The #3 - improve incentives for states to share information - what does that mean? withhold money, threaten? I'm very suspicious.
What? what? am I wrong or have they already been doing this they have to make it law, so they do and call it due process, this is a frickin joke man. capital hill is the largest weapons dealer on the planet and they wanna try this, I have to go, Im so mad im having trouble finishiong a sentence
The Executive Order is an executive attempt to subvert the Laws they are sworn to defend.Until/unless We the people WAKE UP and pay attention and march like Jack Booted thugs (Democrats) to insist the Un-Constitutional/Extra-Constitutional practices within our Federal Government Cease-- they will continue like rust--on a bridge-- or Cancer in the human host. Until--or unless that happens I will stay home and clean my guns.(metaphorically speaking)
THIS is not going to stop ,until we can have him OUT OF OFFICE..
How about let's export this Illegal Criminal OUT OF OUR COUNTRY?? This ILLEGAL ALIEN is a CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER to this Country.
When he announced he was the Beginning of the FUNDAMENTAL TRANSFORMATION OF THIS COUNTRY... who would have imagined what he really meant was the transfer of ownership from Americans to Islamists?
It is dangerous when our Posterity's Life is on the Line.... It is FRIGHTENING WHEN WE ARE UNDER ATTACK FROM WITHIN and have not been advised and totally unaware of the Battle for our Survival!!
I have been doing that right along, that is calling my Representatives and Senators. They don't call me, write back to me, or email me. All of them call me a Right-wing Constitutional Conservative pain in their collective A---s. I did manage to get in front of Sen. Susan Collins and challenge her on Constitutional issues, to no avail.