Big Government

bySeton Motley

Just this past Friday, we warned you that a Federal Communications Commission (FCC) December Internet power grab was probably coming.

Well, we now know that it is – and it may be even worse than we thought.

Details have been sketchy, and successive reports often contradictory, but what follows is what seems to be looming over us in December.  (We will know for sure on Wednesday, November 24 – if the FCC maintains its current December 15 meeting date.)

FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski appears to be preparing to dramatically increase the FCC’s regulatory role over the Internet (in TWO ways; more on that later).

He is doing so without the necessary Congressional authority – which he himself acknowledges he doesn’t have.  And he is doing so by torturing and twisting the regulatory language he is drafting – so as to keep this extraordinary dictatorial seizure within the current Title I confines.

The latter is for The Chairman merely an optical effort.  If he can feign the appearance of remaining within Title I, he avoids Reclassification to Title II – against which many of us have long been rightly fighting.  He will then portray his fealty to Title I as testament to the alleged “moderation” of his (un)modest proposal.

This will be a totally bogus assertion, but he will make it – and the media will inparrot-esque fashion repeat it.  The Chairman should bring crackers to the press conference.

Free Press and the Media Marxists – who have long cried for Title II Reclassification – will on cue rail against The Chairman’s “sell-out.”  This will further “bolster” his claim that he has found the magical, mystical Third Way – winding a path between the leftist Open Internet absolutists and the evil telecom companies.

The Chairman should also bring nuts to the press conference – in case Free Press & Co. show up.

(An aside: How are the telecom companies “evil” – when they have invested hundreds of dollars in building the Internet infrastructure?  Which has resulted in the free speech, free market Web Xanadu we consumers all currently enjoy.  Free Press and the Media Marxists haven’t invested a dime – yet they somehow successfully lay claim to themantle of “consumer advocates.”)

Of course, this attempted sleight of regulatory hand does not get The Chairman past one glaring problem – the D.C. Circuit Court has already unanimously ruled that the FCC doesn’t have the authority to regulate the Internet under Title I – at least as far as enforcing Network Neutrality is concerned. 

(Which is why Free Press & Co. have been clamoring for Title II Reclassification.)

And Net Neutrality is why The Chairman has engaged in – and forced us all to endure- this one year-plus kabuki dance.  Testimonium – The Chairman now looks poised to have the FCC again attempt to enforce Net Neutrality – under his now stretched-beyond-all-recognition Title I.  What a short, selective memory he has.

And most economically destructive of all – it appears The Chairman will try to impose Net Neutrality not just on wired broadband Internet service – but on wireless “smart phones” as well.

This would be a titanic overreach by The Chairman – and an immense blow to the economy.  The uncertainty caused just by The Chairman’s prolonged flirtation with the Media Marxists and their ridiculous Internet notions has already cost us billions of dollars in private sector Web investment.

The cost in investment dollars and jobs lost when Net Neutrality is actually imposed will be cataclysmic.

These aren’t the fake “saved or created” jobs of the alleged “stimulus” – these are very real jobs denied or destroyed by the ridiculous and ridiculously damaging Net Neutrality.  Imposed by an FCC and its Chairman who know in advance that they do not have the authority to do so.

What will follow will be years of litigation forced upon us by The Chairman – to undo what he knew beforehand he didn’t have the authority to do.

What will follow will be years of diminished and diminishing Web capacity, caused by an absurd policy wrongfully jammed down our throats by a dictatorial, rogue Executive Branch Commission.

What will follow will be years of stagnant or declining job growth, as investment capital rightly flees a regulation-constricted Internet which is no longer amenable to free market success.

What will follow this essay may very well determine the free market, free speech future of the Internet – are you ready to place some calls and send some emails and faxes to protest this preposterous policy proposal and demand that it never be enacted?

Stay tuned – we will soon tell you how you can be a part of the preventative solution.

You need to be a member of The Patriots For America to add comments!

Join The Patriots For America

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Is Called "Controlling the People and All Things".

If the People ofAmerica DO NOT GET INVOLVED AND ACT, by this time next year it will be too late...

TSGT Clough
  • This insanity has got to stop now or the only way to fix it will be another Revolution. Before we know it, all of our emails will be monitored for "subversive" content. Big Brother will be watching our every move 24/7.
    • What makes you think they' re NOT doing so at this moment? I assume they are; they've had the capability for years. I know several who have links to the high clearance community who have told me that they do, and most likely have been monitoring all internet traffic, by computers geared to pick up certain key words, and track the conversations since at least the late '80s. They do it with cell phone traffic too. These are people I know aren't exaggerating. I'm too old to worry about that now; if they don't like what I say here or anywhere, tough!
    • I am afraid, 3IDGrunt, you have it right. The people can send all the complaints they want to our elected leaders, but Iam afraid it is too late for that. Fighting to remain free has always required bloodshed. Their is no such thing as an intellectual revolution. All the people I know are already dusting off the implements of war. Sometimes the pen is mightier than the sword, but in this case, it will not be.
  • I guess this site will be gone.
  • The FCC might vote in December but the American people will "speak again" in November 2012 and replace the "Wannabe Dictator-in-Charge" and that is a promise!
  • well that is just great... with TSA running its own Lording over the people now we have FCC trying regulate the internet.. when is enough enough? we all might as well all lay down and let it happen... right? no I hope not! never before has there been such intrusion of our God given rights... now we are on the verge given them up for what ? peace and safety, health and safety.. no my fellow countrymen its for control of our very lives. from the cradle to the grave. You are seeing it live right before our eyes.
    well that the way I see it. God Bless us all.
    Frank
  • We begin in January and lobby our congressmen and senators to begin dismantling these very hostile bureaucratic agencies.
    It is not going to happen over night, it has taken 40+ years to get many of these agencies we speek of in place. First they were to be investigative and as time has passed they has morphed into regulatory agencies and the next stop is becoming not only regulator but enforcement.
    When Ronald Reagan was elected president, he began to role back many of the intrusive regulations that were in place buy the progressives (they were not called Progressives at the time) and this inflamed the left. It disrupted their plan to socialize the American people. Know they need revenge, I really believe that the failed attempt on Reagan's was set up buy the underground progressive left wing party (just my thoughts).
    • Has this happened????????????? 
      • The decision has and they were set to move on the 23rd.  So I guess "officially" it has, although we haven't yet seen too much .  There have been some sites reported disappearing for some months now, however.
This reply was deleted.