The examiner

Judge tells students: Sue to reinstate La Raza studies

"Students also learned in the La Raza supported curriculum that California, Arizona, New Mexico and parts of Colorado and Texas are really Aztlan, the ancient homeland of the Aztecs, and still rightfully belong to their descendants, people of indigenous Mexican heritage."

A President Bill Clinton-appointed federal judge -- A. Wallace Tashima -- advised a group of Arizona students that they can sue their public school district for violating their First Amendment right by eliminating a radical La Raza studies program that ignites racial hostility, teaches disdain for American sovereignty and illegally segregates students by race.

"Only in America would a federal judge rule that a U.S. taxpayer-funded institution can get sued for refusing to provide such a divisive program that one instructor denounced for igniting racial hostility. The case involves the Tucson Unified School District’s Mexican Raza Studies program, nixed after state legislators banned funding for ethnic studies curriculums that advocate the overthrow of the U.S. government," stated the blogger for the public-interest organization Judicial Watch.

Tucson’s controversial La Raza curriculum was created during the Clinton administration in 1998 to promote the Chicano agenda. It was later renamed “Mexican-American Studies” to sound less threatening and extremist. In 2010 Arizona’s legislature passed a measure (HB 2281) banning taxpayer-funded schools from offering classes that are designed for students of a particular race and promote resentment toward a certain ethnic group (in this case whites).

However, a group of Tucson district teachers sued in federal court to keep the Chicano program, claiming that it would be unconstitutional to eliminate it because it would restrict free speech, according to the Judicial Watch blogger. 

In their complaint, the teachers said their free speech had been impermissibly infringed by the state. They further asserted that students who take the La Raza courses score higher on standardized tests, graduate from high school at higher rates, improve their overall grades and have better school attendance records.

Judge A. Wallace Tashima rejected the teachers’ claims, but this week ruled that students have a standing to sue the district for killing the La Raza studies program because they’ve made a “plausible showing of a First Amendment violation” based on allegations that “viewpoint-discriminatory criteria” are being used to remove texts and materials from the curriculum. The Clinton-appointed judge also said that “at some point in the future students may be able to make a stronger showing that irreparable harm is likely….” though they have not yet met the criteria.

The Tucson program first gained national attention when a Hispanic history teacher, John Ward, who taught in it denounced the curriculum’s biased theme that Mexican-Americans are victims of a racist American society driven by the interests of middle and upper-class whites. Kids were taught that the southwestern United States was taken from Mexicans because of the insatiable greed of the Yankee who acquired values from the corrupted ethos of western civilization, the teacher wrote in a newspaper opinion piece for the Tucson Citizen.

Students also learned in the La Raza supported curriculum that California, Arizona, New Mexico and parts of Colorado and Texas are really Aztlan, the ancient homeland of the Aztecs, and still rightfully belong to their descendants, people of indigenous Mexican heritage.

Also, the former Tucson teacher said, students were told that few Mexicans took advanced high school courses because their “white teachers” didn’t believe they were capable and wanted to prevent them from getting ahead.

The curriculum engendered racial irresponsibly, demeaned America’s civil institutions, undermined public servants, discounted any virtues in western civilization and taught disdain for American sovereignty, according the teacher. He also revealed that many of the instructors who taught the courses were not certified to teac

You need to be a member of The Patriots For America to add comments!

Join The Patriots For America

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Why do we tolerate these Judges.  Lets recall all of them.

• If we Americans do NOT make a stand against Illegal Immigration now, WE will lose our great nation.  This is truly appalling!

• The sad truth is we already have lost. Obama is not and refuses to support the Rule of Law. Thousands are dying and not being reported by the Media, to cover the fannies in the Regime. On January 9, 2012 a 19 yr. old girl in Bethany, OK. wad raped, tortured and decapitated by illegal alien with a criminal record. Many more....

How dare OB threaten our Soldiers. This is who he should be going after. His vote is more important, therefore I hold them responsible for all of these murders. Holder is his hit man.

• We need to go after the School's and the Teachers to stop all of this. We know the Schools were taken over by these Communist thinkers 30 some years ago. Save our children and get them out of there. Clear them all out and start over with Local and parental control, just like the years before Federalization.

• I totally agree with you here. When my kids were in school, we had a PTA (Parent Teacher's Association) that kept close watch on what was taught and the character of the teachers, by the time they'd made it to high school, Ohio had ruled we had to change the name, (I know that it had been used for over 60 yrs.) because the Teachers uniion had been legalized in OH, and they went by PTA (Public Teacher's Association). This was during the Gilligan Governorship and OH has gone down hill ever since.

If we can't take back the public school system, we need to push for the legal rights to establish new "local" schools established and under the control of the neighborhood parents. In the meantime, Home Schooling seems to be our best option. The [supposed] local public schools seem to be a financial vacuum in complying with Federal and State requirements , and with such compliance always comes more strings.

When my kids were young, I spent much time countering false teaching both on history and economics, today, the kids are convinced their parents and grandparents know nothing. I remember hearing the dept of educ. people during radio interviews stating; "We hope by getting it in the schools and encouraging the kids to go home and [teach] it to their parents....."  RIGHT THERE IS A GOOD PART OF THE PROBLEMS IN THIS COUNTRY. WE'VE GOT KIDS BEING SENT HOME FROM SCHOOL BELIEVING THEIR PARENTS ARE WRONG ON EVERYTHING AND NEED TO BE TAUGHT!

• If they want to teach these kids -- teach them truths -- teach them history --- teach them of the wars fought and "purchases of lands from Mexico".  Teach them that they are US citizens, OR if they wish to be Mexican citizens -- to request their families move to Mexico and see just how wonderful it is there!! Same with those teaches qualified or unqualified.  If they wish to teach this stuff they can cross the border and do it -- but don't plan on crossing back over to this side once they decide they don't like it there!! The Judge needs to be thrown off the bench and his law license taken from him!! I'm so sick of judges and politicians  that want to turn our country into something that is's not, and give it away, and cater to the whims of the illegals and some legals who would join them!!

• I am part Native American and  I learned about the indians and my heritage on my own. I learned American History in public school.  In my day Amercan History was the only history taught along with classes on the  US Government in high school.  If these people want to learn their history they need to learn it their own.  The libraries are full of history book from all over the world. If they do not like it that is tough, GO BACK WHERE CAME FROM. 

•    This is the crap that i and fellow Americans all over the country have been saying for what seems like an eternety.Some of these judges seem to be above the law.They sh#t on our constitution at will and nothing happens.

• La Raza, the race...doesn't this already tell us something?  Kudos, to the many who are getting elected to the school boards and watching what is being taught in our schools.

• Why should we cater to one group over another?

There is no Jewish, Asian or African Studies Programs being demanded at the 

high school level, no they are taught at the college level where one gets to choose what they l

want to learn about.

This reply was deleted.