Barney Frank told the panel on ABC’s This Week that “I don’t think anyone’s vote was changed” when Barack Obama endorsed the legalization of same-sex marriage — but that might be too optimistic an analysis. The New York Times reports that the White House went on a charm offensive with leaders of faith organizations, including and perhaps especially African-American churches where opposition to gay marriage runs high. So far, the charm offensive has had mixed results:
About two hours after declaring his support for same-sex marriage last week, President Obama gathered eight or so African-American ministers on a conference call to explain himself. He had struggled with the decision, he said, but had come to believe it was the right one.
The ministers, though, were not all as enthusiastic. A vocal few made it clear that the president’s stand on gay marriage might make it difficult for them to support his re-election. …
In the end, Mr. Coates, who supports civil marriages for gay men and lesbians, said that most of the pastors, regardless of their views on this issue, agreed to “work aggressively” on behalf of the president’s campaign. But not everyone. “Gay marriage is contrary to their understanding of Scripture,” Mr. Coates said. “There are people who are really wrestling with this.”
This was the danger of going on the record, a danger Obama’s allies on the Left apparently discounted. Obama drove turnout in 2008 in part through the enthusiastic participation of these very same churches. Having now sided with the people who call these black pastors and congregations “bigots,” especially in North Carolina where two-thirds of black voters supported Amendment One, Obama is not at risk of having them flip to Mitt Romney — but he does risk losing that enthusiasm, fundraising, and organization.
It’s not just about the policy itself, either. The churches now wonder whether Obama will back efforts to force churches to perform same-sex marriages, a topic which one religious leader broached with the President during one of the calls:
“Some of the faith communities are going to be afraid that this is an attack against religious liberty,” Mr. Hunter remembered telling the president.
“Absolutely not,” Mr. Obama insisted. “That’s not where we’re going, and that’s not what I want.”
Really? The Obama administration’s track record on religious freedom singularly argues otherwise. Most recently, the White House stabbed their allies in health-care reform in the Catholic Church in the back by using the ObamaCare law that the US Conference of Catholic Bishops supported to create a mandate that requires church organizations to pay for contraception, sterilization, and abortifacients. Even more to the point, the Obama administration tried to apply the ADA to force a church to rehire a minister they’..., an attempt that got a 9-0 rebuke from the Supreme Court.
The only time this President is solicitous of religious freedom and principles is when he’s trying to cover his own rear end.
On the other hand, Obama’s declaration has resulted in a lot of enthusiasm at churches … for Romney, as Andrew Malcolm explains:
Near the end of the competitive part of the recent Republican presidential primary season, Gov. Mitt Romney began showing growing support among evangelical voters. The Mormon had been losing that influential portion of the GOP base by lopsided proportions. Not anymore.
Thank you, Barack Obama. …
In a major examination of evangelical support for Romney the Deseret News Sunday quoted several Southern academics. Dave Woodard of Clemson University called Obama’s carefully-staged statement a gift for Romney highlighting his candidacy’s uniqueness in supporting traditional marriage.
“I don’t think there’s any doubt he’s sealed the deal,” with most evangelical voters, Woodard told the paper. “I think he can make up for any other problems he has with them with just this one issue.”
Woodard added: “There is beginning to be some genuine enthusiasm for Mitt Romney. They’re not just going to talk about his Sunday morning activities. He has the convictions on the issues they like.”
Newsweek may have crowned Obama with a secular halo this weekend, but he’s not getting hosannas from the churches — and that might be all it takes to send Obama into retirement in January 2013.
Christians for too long have attempted to show the world we're not judgmental towards others. While we've been trying to keep our faith out of politics, they've worked at keeping those with faith out of society. It's time we realized that only a return to the original Scriptural meanings of Scripture is even more important than Original intent of the Constitution, because it was on these Scriptures the freedoms of the Constitutions were based. If you get the foundation out of whack, all the building will be in danger of collapsing.
Were I running for office, I would consider it a badge of honor if the queers (Political Correctness be damned!) didn't vote for me. The same for communists, socialists, and child molesters!
AKA Obama's "coming out" party is a huge gift to those who would defeat him. Exploit it. EXPLOIT IT!
It has helped reveal the demon that he is. Anyone who has studied the scriptures knows how homosexuality is classified. I personally think that such practices are between the perpetrators and God and are not the province of govt. But there are other political and financial considerations, because government has inserted itself deeply into marriage, as follows:
1. You are forced to get a government marriage license to be "recognized" as legally married, although common law marriages are recognized for certain purposes in certain jurisdictions. Church marriages are not good enough for government. How dare governments insert themselves into this?
2. Certain government payments and tax benefits are predicated upon martial status. Social Security, inheritance laws, income tax tables, certain income qualifying rules for government programs and even some private ones (pensions, heath insurance) are all linked to marital status.
3. Some laws were designed to help encourage marriage and child-rearing, as in the interests of the state and common good. These are now claimed to be "discriminatory" by the left and homosexual community, as if biology was legislatable. Most of this could have been avoided by keeping government more out of our lives in the first place.
4. Some laws actually work against marriage, such as the so called "marriage penalty" for tax deductions.
5. Some laws protect the special status of married couples, such as not being required to testify against a spouse.
6. Marriage is regarded as sacred by nearly all major religions and even has a very special place in sane secular societies, based upon biology and customs going back for eons. Some of this is reflected in policies of governments around the world.
7. If homosexual couples wish to have "partnerships," that is up to them, not us, but please do not consider those to be "marriage" in any way, shape or form. Certainly not sacred. There are reasons why churches have adopted the word of God about marriage. There are reasons why societies which fail to do so are less stable. There are reasons that the Communist Party, with support from the Soviet Union (now down to Russia), set as one of its 45 objectives for CPUSA to undermine the USA via promoting homosexuality, decades ago-- and is achieving that and many other toxic objectives. Obama is its highest ranking agent ever. Please Google (with the words Barack Obama added to each): Larry Sinclair, Man's Country Club, Down-Low Club, Larry Bland, Nathan Spencer, Donald Young.
8. Notwithstanding the above, homosexuals' constitutional rights should be protected. Some laws would have to change. For example, health insurance. Right now, a family plan is cheaper than two homosexual partners each buying their own. Exactly what is the valid, economic business reason which justifies that? But extrapolating that, would employers and the govt. be forced to include anyone the policyholder/entitlee specified? Would that also include multiple Muslim wives and group "marriage" partners? Clearly, there must be limits, even only if for economic purposes. Activists are opening up a social and financial Pandora's box, with unknown consequences. Is this part of the Cloward-Piven strategy?
we the people the devil/ovomit is trying to fool we the people again,but mr devil/ovomit we the people don,t trust or believe you,we cast the devil to burn in hell.we know your are a treasonous/communist/devil and lucifer you are not fooling anyone with your black magic act.so go back to your fallen angels and tell them it isn,t working,we the american citizens/christians are educated,alerted and with bible in one hand and 2nd/amendment/protection in the other hand.we are prepared to reject you lucifer your horns are showing.god bless ron paul,sheriff joe and cold case posse and all american veterans and all american citizens.one nation under god,and we the people salute and pledge allegiance to the flag of the united states of america
The King of Doublespeak. What I say is not what I mean and what I mean is not what I said. The majority of blacks will still vote for the imposter in chief just because he is black. Then there are those who are the recipients of the governments largess who will also be bussed to the polling places with a little bit of "walkin aroun money". Add to this the unions, the communists and the GLBT's and we will be lucky to remember what the United States of America used to look like. Welcome to the United Socialist States of America. Then again because the word America is so repulsive to them that may get deleted also.
"If my people, Who are called by my Name, Will humble themselves And pray,
And seek my face, and Turn from their Wicked ways,
Then will I hear from Heaven And will forgive their Sin and will heal Their land."
2 Chronicles 7:14
This is our only hope
Amen! And as we turn to Him, He returns to us all the Blessings of the Bible, where our land has been consumed too long by the curses. Please Lord, Have mercy and remember our frame, that we ARE just dust.
Baalam the most evil of Satan is in power over the World. I stand with courage and pray that all Christian Leaders of all colors will be given the courage to also stand with the simple courage of a Christian women.
The powers of good over evil will stand, because it is right.