So DHS directions are to run, hide, do not take personal possessions and do not help your fellow wounded colleagues..........LEAVE THAT MAN/WOMAN BEHIND! These folks in DC have no honor and no integrity - that fact shines like flood lights in everything they do!

Twana

The Blaze

If Americans were worried that those pushing gun control in Washington, and in the Obama administration, have unrealistic expectations about what is necessary for self defense, then a recently released video by the Department of Homeland Security seems unlikely to placate them.

The video, titled “Options for Consideration,” and released January 25th of this year, details what are meant to be acceptable responses to “active shooter situations” of the type seen at Fort Hood, Virginia Tech, and at the shooting of Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords. Curiously, the video omits mention of the Aurora shooting, though it was filmed before Sandy Hook.

DHS’s recommended responses to such shootings, demonstrated in a generic office setting, include the obvious instructions to try to either evacuate the area, or hide someplace the shooter won’t think to look, while also warning innocent bystanders in such situations that it is necessary to follow the instructions of police officers and other law enforcement personnel who appear on the scene.

Department of Homeland Security Video Urges Citizens to Defend Against Shooters With Scissors

Photo Credit: Youtube

Department of Homeland Security Video Urges Citizens to Defend Against Shooters With Scissors

This much of the video is relatively non-controversial. However, there is one particular portion that may prompt derisive chuckles from self-defense advocates. The passage occurs at roughly 1:45 in the video, during which the narrator of the video suggests, “If you are caught out in the open, and cannot conceal yourself or take cover, you might consider trying to overpower the shooter with whatever means are available.”

The image shown at this point is as follows:

This particular bit of advice has already attracted some attention. The New York Post reports the pushback:

Richard Feldman, president of the Independent Firearm Owners Association, said he has a better option for consideration than a pair of scissors when confronting an armed mass murderer — a legal firearm.

“That’s why I prefer a gun, and I usually do carry a gun when it is lawful to do so,” said Feldman. “Clearly, you use whatever you can” to fight for your life, he said.

So if scissors are all you’ve got, grab them by all means.

The video is part of the Obama administration’s ongoing campaign to reduce firearm violence in the wake of the horrific mass murder last month of 20 children and six teachers in Newtown, Conn., said a Homeland Security official.

Given that the video was apparently released to coincide with Obama administration proposals on gun control, the fact that it makes mention of self-defense at all is surprising. However, suggesting that self-defense with scissors and other improvised weapons might be a valid option while neglecting to mention the idea of carrying a firearm for preparedness arguably heightens the omission of the latter.

You need to be a member of The Patriots For America to add comments!

Join The Patriots For America

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• These idiots need to have something happen to them so they will see how idiotic they really are with their hairbrain suggestions!!!!   I am excellent with a pair of scissors (hairdreser) but hey the only way to stop someone with a gun is another gun...inYOUR hand...not a pair of scissors to throw...good heavens how foolish!

• When the blaze .com had this story last week they also carried one with a Congressman (I think from Colorado) who suggested women carry a ball point pen to stab an attacker. The inmates are indeed running the asylum.

• Maybe we can re-arm the military with scissors - shall they be automatic or semiautomatic?  I don't know why they didn't suggest we put our heads between our legs and kiss our A$$es goodbye. Arggghhhhhh!

• Unreal! But the lambs being led to slaughter probly think scissors would be a great protectant , just like the dumb IDIOTS that made that suggestion in the 1st place!

• I saw the video, its a laugh riot, tells you to get a pair of scissors and try to overpower the CRAZY guy with a gun...YEA, YOU THINK!!!

• Someone better tell them you don't a knife to a gun fight and you sure do not take a pair of scissors...DHS, if you could fix stupid that is where you would start...

• I guess I'd be one of the dead ones, because noway would I leave a loved one or friend behind, even if I had to die trying. A lot of the information would be helpful if you didn't have a gun, it is mainly common sense. Makes me want to carry even more.

• If i want to get some mugger off my back and try to kill him,the last thing i want is a pair of scissors to knit him a dress.    Give me a break.The massacre that the assailant will do with scissors is worse then getting raped,in my opinion.

• Scissors might be a good defense if they were shot out of a cannon.

• Scissors? Humm... I never thought of that, I guess I'll throw away my gun and buy a pair of scissors before they get on the assault weapons ban list.  

This reply was deleted.

Activity

Oldrooster posted a discussion
yesterday
Thursday
Apr 14
Apr 8
Mar 31