Is this NOW titled under what it really was/is? A terrorist attack? Will there be justice for our Wounded Warriors?

Twana

Washington Post

Nidal Malik Hasan was sentenced to death Wednesday for killing 13 people and wounding 32 others in a 2009 shooting spree at Fort Hood, Tex., the worst mass murder at a military installation in U.S. history.

Dressed in Army fatigues, Hasan, who turns 43 next month, listened impassively as the death penalty was handed down by a panel of 13 senior military officers in a unanimous decision. If even a single panel member had objected, Hasan would instead have been sentenced to life in prison.

The jury deliberated for a little more than two hours.

Hasan was dismissed from the Army and stripped of his pay and other benefits, which he had continued to receive while awaiting trial. He will be transferred to a military prison at Fort Leavenworth, Kan., on the first available military flight, officials said.

Hasan was previously found guilty on all 13 counts of premeditated murder and 32 of attempted premeditated murder after opening fire Nov. 5, 2009, at Fort Hood’s Soldier Readiness Processing Center, where troops were getting medical checkups before deployments to Afghanistan.

The Army psychiatrist, who also was due to deploy to Afghanistan a few weeks later, shouted “Allahu akbar!” meaning “God is great,” before targeting soldiers with a high-powered, high-capacity handgun he had fitted with laser sights. He was apprehended by military police officers after firing more than 200 shots.

Prosecutors aggressively pursued the death sentence during the 22-day court-martial this month, calling more than 100 witnesses, including 20 surviving victims and relatives of the deceased to testify in a courtroom just a few miles from the site of the shooting.

During two days of sentencing evidence, they described, in often emotional testimony, how the incident had changed their lives.

Staff Sgt. Patrick Zeigler, who was shot four times, told the court, “I was expected to either die or remain in a vegetative state.”

Zeigler’s left side remains partially paralyzed, and he said that his personality has changed and that he is “a lot angrier, a lot darker than I used to be.”

The father of a pregnant 21-year-old private from Chicago, Francheska Velez, who was fatally shot as she pleaded for the life of her baby, testified in Spanish that Hasan had also “killed me slowly.”

Velez was one of three women killed in the attack. The 13 dead ranged in age from 19 to 62.

The court heard that Hasan had carefully planned his attack, training at a local firing range and researching jihad on his computer. The FBI and Department of Defense have drawn criticism for failing to prevent the attack after missing a number of warning signs.

Hasan, an American-born Muslim, had exchanged e-mails with a leading al-Qaeda figure in which he asked whether those attacking fellow soldiers were martyrs. The e-mails were seen by the FBI. Hasan also once gave a presentation to Army doctors discussing Islam and suicide bombers and said Muslims should be allowed to leave the armed forces as conscientious objectors to avoid “adverse events.”

You need to be a member of The Patriots For America to add comments!

Join The Patriots For America

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Too bad so much time and money was wasted getting to this poiint!

• I hope they use ammo soaked in pig blood  

• I will step out on a limb a moment.  Because he is a terrorist and they are honored for dying for allah......he probably loved the death penalty verdict. The terrorist believes he will be rewarded by allah when he gets the "chair".  Granted, we don't need t to spend ANY more tax money to care for this scumbag......I say.....stop paying his military pay and make him pay EVERYTHING back to the victims & their families.  Then send him to Alcatraz, with several pigs, to live alone for the rest of his sticking pathetic life!  If he wants to eat.......the moron can go fishing!!  Or learn to eat pork!!! If he wants water, let hm learn to get and sterlize it himself. If he needs shelter.  He has MANY rooms to select from!  See........no more of our tax dollars towards supporting him.  He will be a disgrace in allah's eyes.     

• Carri, you are correct.  He stated he wanted the death penalty so he could go to heaven as a martyr.  Although we know better, the muslims believe that by being martyrs, the men will get 72 virgins as well as a good life.  But, we know there are no more virgins left [:=), since the Marines and soldiers killed so many of them so fast, they could not catch up with the supply for the martyrs.  However, this murderer and all of his muslim buddies believe he will get his virgins.  He will die a happy person.  This is why I think it best he be put in solitary confinement for life, preferably on a small island out in the Pacific with no chance of getting off.  Semper Fi!  Gunny Lakin

• Was the reason for calling it workplace -violence so that they could more easily get the death penalty? I thought I'd heard that as a possible strategy. (Of course, the disadvantages were many in not calling it an act of terror.)
  • Good Ridance, and a fast execution, preferably by firing squad or string him up by the neck. I will accept whichever one gets done the fastest.

• I agree, they should have shot him on sight

• The FBI and the Department of Defense should also have to pay for that attack by Hasan. They should have known that Hasan was a loose canon ready to explode and should have been monitoring him.  Does our government agencies not know about terriorism within our own military and not know how to prevent the killing and wounding of our own soldiers?   I agree with Carri Rice, Hasan should be put to Alcatraz with pigs, instead of death.  Let him wallow with the pigs and live in shame.  A fast death is too good for jihadi terriorists, they need to suffer.

• This is what he wants.

• How much cost was there to reach THIS forgone conclusion in front of hundreds of witnesses for the Terrorist act it was and NOT the workplace violence it was tried as? How much in terms of human suffering and shoddy treatment given to the families of those lost in this debacle and why was this scum treated like a human being when there was NOTHING human in the treatment he gave his victims? No Muslim should be allowed to serve in the US military in my opinion, nor should Sharia law be allowed to be practiced in this country. Look at what has happened to Europe and it is happening here as I write. By nature and belief, Islam is deadly inimical to EVERY precept on which THIS country was founded and those here should be deported if they did not originate here and be observed closely or interned like the Nisei in WWII. There is far MORE reason to intern Islamics than ever there was the Japanese born second generation Nisei. These people are a definite domestic threat to us and as long as we allow them into this country, that threat will only increase exponentially with their growing population. It is the pattern they have established for world domination and we  MUST prevent that from happening here. It is likely already too late for Europe. In Britain, English citizens are being forced to avoid certain Muslim neighborhoods; FOR THEIR OWN SAFETY!, and that of their CHILDREN, ;all in their OWN COUNTRY! If this execution is not swiftly carried out and the underlying issues not addressed, we WILL have the same result here and there will be MORE attacks on military bases.  Bet on it! If we would "avoid adverse events," Islam and its practice as inimical to this country and its constitution should not be allowed entry or practice here. If you think differently: LOOK AT WHAT IS GOING ON IN DEARBORN, MICHIGAN, OR THROUGHOUT THE STATE OF TENNESSEE,' not to mention Minnesota!

This reply was deleted.