Marion Star

MARION — Joan Stevens was one of several early voters at the polls on Monday. But when Stevens tried to cast her ballot for president, she noticed a problem.

Upon selecting “Mitt Romney” on the electronic touch screen, Barack Obama’s name lit up.

It took Stevens three tries before her selection was accurately recorded.

“You want to vote for who you want to vote for, and when you can’t it’s irritating,” Stevens said.

Stevens said she alerted Jackie Smith, a board of elections member who was present. Smith declined to comment, but Stevens says she mentioned that the machine had been having problems all day.

Stevens also reported the issue to Sophia Rogers, the director of the board of elections for Marion County.

Rogers said the machine worked fine when she and others tried voting on it. No one else had reported problems with the voting machines malfunctioning.

Rogers suggested the issue may have been caused by not hitting the button directly or tapping with more than one finger. Stevens was aware the machine had to be operated a certain way.

“I know how to do the voting,” Stevens said.

Despite no problems with that particular machine, Rogers decided to take all precautions. She contacted the vendor and had them inspect the device.

“Because of her issue, we had that machine recalibrated,” Rogers said. “I am certain the equipment works properly.”

Rogers said that those still skeptic about using the electronic stations have the option of filling out a paper ballot, even voting from home and mailing via absentee ballot.

Voting in-person is open daily to all voters at 222 West Center Street through Election Day on November 6. All qualified Ohio voters can also submit an absentee ballot by filling out a form found at the Marion elections website at marionelections.com

nbechtel@marionstar.com
740-375-5155
Twitter: @NickMStar

You need to be a member of The Patriots For America to add comments!

Join The Patriots For America

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Democrat's party of treason and has been since the early 1800's  They will lie, cheat and steal for the american people. I think that's why they have a mascot of a JACKASS!

• Gee sounds just like what SEIU did to the electronic in Nevada when you voted for S Angle it came up Dirty Harry Reid and the Democratic election board said you must have rubbed your coat sleeve on  the screen to change the votes, when they were in short sleeve shirts or tops... Now you know why Dirty Harry got re-elected...

• The director of the board of elections said, "I am certain the equipment works properly."  Working "properly" can mean any number of things which don't necessarily include working correctly.  What works correctly is a pencil mark made on a paper ballot by the voter.

• After reading the above, My analysis is that Obama got 3 votes and romney got 1!

• Electronic voting along with early voting and absentee ballots opens our voting process for fraud and election stealing.  It is time to make all votes have a paper trail.  The paper ballot would be recorded by three machines, neutral machine (secretary of state),  damocrap machine and a republican machine.  If all three machine do not agree then the paper ballot would be the deciding vote and the incorrect machine vote would be recorded as wrong and then corrected. 

• My ballot is 'vote by mail' but the mail route routinely go 70 miles out to another postal center for sorting, in another county, before it is shipped back to the courthouse of my county, which is 15 miles from my home. I was afraid my ballot wouldn't get into the official office in time and I am so mistrustful of the ballot boxes that are left unattended on street corners in my area, that I hand delivered my sealed ballot to the County Clerk's office. At least that ballot box is inside a secure building with plenty of witnesses to keep an eye on it so it can't be tampered with or vandalized.

Yes, the pony express seems to be alive and well in my area.

• If I could vote in person (on paper) I would, however I can not so I voted through the mail.. I called the office of El Paso Tx elections to verify  if they had received my ballot, I was told yes. I did this on numerous occasions and received the same reply. So I pray my vote will count for whom I voted. R & R . in navy terms it means rest and relaxation . I hope they don't take this to heart. lol lol

• so the U.N. took care of it right?  ;)

• With my background in software development, I couldn’t believe that voting machines could be so easily manipulated or recalibrated and that kind of ability be accessible to anyone. These machines should only be used for playing Super Mario and not used for any voting system, especially ours. Unbelievable. Who’s the idiot approved these machines?

Easy For Anyone To Recalibrate ES&S E-Voting Machines

from the have-fun-with-it dept (http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20081103/1850082731.shtml)

Following on our earlier story demonstrating the calibration errors on ES&S e-voting machines in West Virginia, comes this report that notes the calibration controls are not protected and accessible to anyone. In other words, a pollworker or even a voter could modify the calibration to make it more difficult to vote for a particular candidate. While the overall risk may be minimal (voters would still see whether the correct candidate was highlighted), it could significantly impact voters' confidence with the accuracy of these machines and the sanctity of the election. It's still rather amazing how many stories we see on a near daily basis concerning how badly these machines are built.

• When one enlists in the United States Military, active duty or reserve, they take the following oath:

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice.

Seems like pretty good motivation to obey any order you're given, right? Nope. These articles require the obedience of LAWFUL orders. An order which is unlawful not only does not need to be obeyed, but obeying such an order can result in criminal prosecution of the one who obeys it. Military courts have long held that military members are accountable for their actions even while following orders -- if the order was illegal.

If any law infringes on MY Constitution, it is NOT Lawful.

Whether Obama is reelected or not, Treason charges should be considered against him, as he has done harm to America, and he has infringed of The Constitution of the United States of America, which I have sworn to defend. Any former President gets a life time pension, and 24/7 security detail for all the members of his family. Obama has done to much damage to America already, and we do not need to reward him with a life time pension and security.

This reply was deleted.