The Hill

By Justin Sink - 09/21/11 12:02 PM ET

Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas) says he would consider putting the liberal congressman Dennis Kucinich (D-Ohio) in his Cabinet if he were to win the presidency in 2012.   

Paul said his libertarian political philosophy helps him connect with some on the far left — including Kucinich, who shares Paul’s general anti-war stance.

Paul joked that if he brought the Ohio congressman aboard in his administration, he might have to create a "Department of Peace."

"You've got to give credit to people who think," he said.

"Being pragmatic is about forming coalitions," Paul said at a breakfast sponsored by The Christian Science Monitor. "I probably work with coalitions better than the other candidates. I don't think I've said anything negative here about the president."

Paul’s bid for the GOP nomination has yet to catch fire, though he enjoys perhaps the most passionate following in all of politics. He has had difficulty elevating himself to the top tier of candidates and complained that the media is not taking his campaign seriously.

But the congressman said he’s playing the long game, and values bringing political change over winning the presidency. 

"Politics doesn't drive me as much as economic policy," Paul said. "We're in a big mess, personal liberty is under attack."

Paul said his presidential campaign is more about an "educational effort" of libertarian philosophies than a reflection of his personal ambition.

"There are a lot of people who just don't want to hear this," Paul said. "Very few people understand this, they don't have an understanding of how free markets work."

The congressman said the fact that other Republican candidates are talking about the Federal Reserve or rolling back entitlement programs like Social Security and Medicare are victories for his campaign. Paul also says his campaign — coupled with a financial crisis that has brought into question the stability of the American economic system — is changing the prevailing attitudes of voters.

"It requires a lot more education and a lot more inroads," Paul said. "But absolutely, I think the whole country has come this way."

But Paul continues to struggle in the polls, hovering around 9 to 10 percent of likely Republican primary voters. While his showing is consistently better than some candidates who have garnered more attention, he is unsure of how he will propel himself to the top of the field.

"The supporters believe it's possible, I don't know," Paul said. "There's no reason to rule out the fact this can explode. Something has to give here."

Paul attributed some of the problem to the media, arguing that significant campaign milestones and rallies were underreported. And he acknowledged that as a candidate, he is responsible for delivering his message in a way that voters can appreciate.

"It partially is my fault, and I think that's what I work on most, refining my message," Paul said.

But Paul rejected the idea that he should adopt a more pragmatic or conciliatory strategy that would enable him to either grow his base among those skeptical of some of his views — particularly in terms of non-interventionist foreign policy — or achieve smaller pieces of his domestic policy goals legislatively.

"If you give up your principles, you're not being very pragmatic," Paul said.

You need to be a member of The Patriots For America to add comments!

Join The Patriots For America

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This country is at a "Tipping Point". We can choose another Progressive (Rhino) like Perry or Romney or Huntsman, a person of principle like Ron Paul or Michelle Bachmann or another talking head like Newt or Santorum or Cain.

Except for Paul or Bachmann we get more of the same.

I've made my choice and will vote for Michelle over the others. She is the sole candidate who is electable and has inflexible principles. DON'T LET Perry's 'cosmetics" distract you from doing what the country really needs.

• Ron Paul is the only HONEST politician I know.
  • There was a Russsian TV anchor a couple of weeks ago said they had given him a million dollar money bomb. I could never find out if it really happened but he said he was a former marine. I couldn't verify any of it. You might have a way to do it.

Ben  

• Heaven help us if Mr. Paul is our candidate! 

He does NOT carry himself with 'Presidential Bearing'!

He does NOT present himself as a 'Presidential' character!

He has FAR too much baggage from his previous attempts at candidacy!

He is FAR more of a polarizing figure than even Obama!

He has absolutely NO broad appeal!

The man is simply UNELECTABLE!!!

• sometimes i just want to beat my head against the wall until it bleeds....

btw...   adam kokesh is in cahoots w/ code pink...   he attends anti-war protest/rallys w/ them...

• I couldn't have said it better Denise, They could also have gotten Dennis and all of his cabinet and go to Shirley Mclain's  to channel someone who might know something to tell them what to do next.

• Please Denise... a paragraph now and then?

Thanks...

• What an absolute ass.

Ron H

• Is this remark 'stream of consciousness'?  Or were you on the phone and typed what you said?
    • Expand Ron.......who/what are you referring??
This reply was deleted.