Blackfive

6a00d83452137a69e2016768ff566f970b-pi

Posted By Maj Pain

We must never forget those that have given all. Never. We all know too many buddies, friends, sons, daughters, dads that have paid the ultimate sacrifice. Never forget them.

There are warriors and there are warriors. Through time our Nation is so busy with their iphones, texting, television shows with farfetched unrealistic shows or worse “reality shows” that suck the brain matter out of your skull, that we often see generations grow without ever even knowing about our own heroes.

America’s heroes that have received the Congressional Medal of Honor are true “heroes” and next time you are talking to a teenager ask them to name you one warrior that has received the Medal of Honor.  If they can’t name one then you can take the opportunity to educate them and if you want to really leave an impression on them, buy them the “good book”. Not necessarily a bible (but that wouldn’t hurt either) but the “other” good book called ”United States of America's Congressional Medal of Honor Recipients and their Citations.”  A motivating book of ever Medal of Honor citation. Read the events, understand the actual details and the outstanding circumstance many overcame.  I had the opportunity to travel to the Solomon Islands where Marines engaged the enemy during WWII.  I was fortunate enough to stand on the exact terrain where GySgt Basilone gallantly fought off wave after wave of enemy soldiers and received the Medal of Honor.  There is still to this day fighting holes dug by Marines very visible, barb wire rusted but in still in place and about every 3rd or 4th hand full of dirt resulted in holding a uniform button or  bullet or two.  The humidity and terrain alone would have (and did) kill many men compounded with malaria and the enemy I have a shit-ton respect for those that fought there.

To give you some idea, below is the citation for GySgt Basilone that can be found in the previously mention book.

For extraordinary heroism and conspicuous gallantry in action against enemy Japanese forces, above and beyond the call of duty, while serving with the 1st Battalion, 7th Marines, 1st Marine Division in the Lunga Area, Guadalcanal, Solomon Islands, on 24 and 25 October 1942. While the enemy was hammering at the Marines' defensive positions, Sgt. Basilone, in charge of 2 sections of heavy machine guns, fought valiantly to check the savage and determined assault. In a fierce frontal attack with the Japanese blasting his guns with grenades and mortar fire, one of Sgt. Basilone's sections, with its gun crews, was put out of action, leaving only 2 men able to carry on. Moving an extra gun into position, he placed it in action, then, under continual fire, repaired another and personally manned it, gallantly holding his line until replacements arrived. A little later, with ammunition critically low and the supply lines cut off, Sgt. Basilone, at great risk of his life and in the face of continued enemy attack, battled his way through hostile lines with urgently needed shells for his gunners, thereby contributing in large measure to the virtual annihilation of a Japanese regiment. His great personal valor and courageous initiative were in keeping with the highest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service 

After reading this and being on the ground, the series “The Pacific” captures the difficult terrain and situation accurately. Now that’s a reality show for you!

Read below for some interesting facts about Marines and the Medal of Honor (click to make image bigger)

Time for a CGar!

You need to be a member of The Patriots For America to add comments!

Join The Patriots For America

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This is great and long overdue!

• I am retired army I had the honor  to serve with a MEDAL OF HONOR receipent 1SG Nick Bacon who has sadley passed away. We must never forget that they are the true heroes I tell everyone Do Not forget the ones who gave all. I have 2 grandsons in afganistan one marine and one army and Iam dam proud of them. I like what you done here Take Care and GOD BLESS AMERICA

• Thank you for posting this.

This reply was deleted.