Constitutional Emergency

The salaries paid in the failed VA system:

http://www.press-citizen.com/interactive/article/99999999/SALARIES0...

failureofthevasystem.pdf

This is an excellent "audit" of the VA and what it shows is an absolute broken system!  Our Veterans stepped up to the plate to protect us and keep us safe!  This report highlights the disgraceful failures of the VA system! It is about time Americans stepped up to the plate and voiced outrage at this despicable treatment our Veterans endure!  

I read over this report and it is disgusting!  I hope all of you on this email will take the time to read it.  Work the numbers, you will be appalled!  I pulled out just a few of the "blood curdling" outrages. 

Let's start with the $300 million new computer system:     

"Delays have increased despite a new $300 million computer system and 3,300 claims processors hired since 2010 – 765 of them for additional positions."

I'm wondering where the heck the environmentalists are and why they aren't squawking about all the trees involved in the VA's pathetic attempt at processing claims!  I had one Veteran tell me his file with the VA is 6 ft high!  One Veteran, a 6 ft high file!!!  Despicable!

"For example, the VA’s Office of the Inspector General (OIG) has been conducting reviews of the nation’s 57 regional offices. In the inspection reports, patterns emerge. Phrases like "inaccuracies in processing," "incorrectly interpreted policy" and "use of inadequate medical examinations" show up over and over again contributing

to the unnecessary delays resulting from mismanagement.

In Roanoke, Va., for example, inspectors found paper files — some of them active claims — stacked by the thousands on top of already-full filing cabinets. A structural engineer reported that the sheer weight of it all actually put the building in danger."

"Problems from that era are found in the VA system today, have grown to gigantic proportions and constant "reporting" of planned improvements during this decade have been entirely ineffective. Because, managerial problems continued with pathetic attempts at corrective measures within an outdated support structure that has been patched time and, again, leading to failure after failure. The aforementioned two foot stack of paperwork for the yesteryear veteran’s claim has now grown to four, five, or six feet today because of improper administrative management that leads an unbelievable error rate in claims processing. And the penalty for getting a claim wrong is essentially nonexistent because it is a problem that is being accepted because management cannot develop a fix."

Delays have increased since the $300 million new computer system! Yet we learn that improvements would cost about 400 million less than bonuses paid! Bonuses paid?!!!! Why is anyone getting paid bonuses:

Absolute incompetence and the management is rewarded:

In 2007 Rep. Harry Mitchell, chairman of the House Veterans' Affairs subcommittee on oversight, said he would hold hearings to investigate after reports that budget officials at the Veterans Affairs Department received bonuses ranging up to $33, 000. A list of bonuses to senior career officials in 2006 documents a generous package of more than $3.8-million in payments by a financially strapped agency straining to help care for thousands of injured veterans re-turning home from Iraq and Afghanistan. Among those receiving payments were a deputy assistant secretary and several regional directors who crafted the VA's flawed budget for 2005 based on misleading ac-counting. They received performance payments of up to $33, 000 each, a figure equal to about 20 percent of their annual salaries.

Performance payments??!!!!!  Performance payments for poor performance!  And the errors continue:

Problems were known and the system should have been ready to correct it. That did not occur. Take a look at some of the claim error rates around the country the above graph that are rather unbelievable.

These errors lead to significant delays, compounded by the number of claims entering into the system. VA completed 977,000 claims in 2009, but took in, for the first time, more than a million new ones. In 2010, VA completed 1 million claims, but received 1.2 million new ones. By the end of 2011, officials expected to receive 1.45 million claims –- a double-digit increase over the number of claims received in 2000. In plain language, more is coming in that is going out and their delays will increase with a claim error rate exceeding 60 percent in some locations..

Statement by Linda A. Halliday Assistant Inspector General for Audits and Evaluations Office of Inspector General Department of Veterans Affairs:

"Our inspections of 50 VAROs from April 2009 through May 2012 disclosed multiple challenges that VBA faces in providing timely and accurate disability benefits and services to veterans. We focused our efforts on specific types of disability claims processing, including temporary 100 percent disability evaluations, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), traumatic brain injury (TBI), and herbicide exposure, which we considered at high-risk for processing errors. Based on the 50 inspections completed, we determined that VARO staff did not correctly process 1,442 (30 percent) of the 4,812 high-risk claims we reviewed. Of these, about 32 percent affected veterans’ benefits and approximately 68 percent had the potential to affect veter-ans’ benefits. The errors we identified resulted in a total of approximately $15 million in overpayments and $800,000 in underpayments to veterans. Herbicide exposure-related claims represent an area where initially we saw a consistent error rate of about 45 percent. Nineteen of the 20 VAROs inspected in FY 2011 did not follow VBA policy in processing claims for residuals of TBI. We found that VARO staff did not adequately process about 740 (45 percent) of 1,650 TBI claims that we reviewed."

More incompetence:

The Bay Citizen provides data regularly updated with statistics clearly indicating failure of the St Petersburg VA Regional Office to meet standards of support. As of December 12, 2012 the following was reported:

47,782 veterans are awaiting response to their claims of a disease, injury or illness suffered while in the military.

Average wait time for veterans was 1,383 days for those who appeal as of May 2012, which is an increase of 20.3% in the prior 1.1 years.

Average response time to a claim was 284 days as of October 2012, which is an increase of 34.2% in the prior 1.5 years.

There was a 7% decrease in disability claims in the last 85 weeks while 65.8% of veterans (31,438) are waiting 125 days or more (the VA standard is 125 days) for a response as of December 17, 2012.

Whether those performance figures are applied to a private business, or to a government office, they are shocking and completely unacceptable.

The system is simply broke:

"They're not interested in quality," said attorney Gordon Erspamer. "They are interested in production and getting the decisions done, regardless of whether they are right or wrong. "The system is simply broke. We can do a lot better for our veterans." The VA says its error rate on disability claims is 14 percent. But the Center for Investigative Reporting analyzed a subset of those claims and found an error rate of 38 percent. And the Board of Veter-ans Appeals found the agency made mis-takes in 73 percent of cases. Attorney Gordon Erspamer says errors are often the result of a well-known practice at the VA, "There's a practice called topsheeting -- a very famous term at the VA. And that is basically you take a look at the file, you look at the top pages of the file, and you write a decision."

WHAT WE HAVE HERE IS A FAILURE OF LEADERSHIP!

Recently, Darin Selnick, a retired Air Force captain and former special assistant to the secretary of veterans af-fairs, on an east coast tour with the Concerned Veterans for America to promote important is-sues facing veterans, said:

"I’ve just never seen in an organization that has so much money and so many employees, such in-competence...You have to have a good executive core that leads and manages and trains. What you have is some good managers, but they’re thwarted by a vast number of leadership and management that really care about themselves first and the veterans second."

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results! The VA system is a bureautic broken mess.  It is time to "topsheet" the federal government and write the decision to get them out of the VA system. It seems to me our Veteran's claims should be handled and regulated solely by each respective state. Maybe that seems so simple a solution to such a complex mess.  I'm not sure what all the answers are but I'm sure of one thing:

Our Veterans deserve the very best care and treatment, they have given us their very best! It is time we all call and write our legislators and demand something be done to address the horrific manner in which the VA continues to operate!

I am most grateful to the Citrus County Veterans Advisory Board for this excellent report!  My sincere apology for appalling the results. 

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their nation."

- President George Washington

Beverly Perlson
The Band of Mothers

Views: 539

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, it's time to get rid of the bureaucraps.  We all need to know this.  ALL ELECTED GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS, BE IT LOCAL, STATE AND FEDERAL GOVERNMENT.  ALL elected officials must take an OATH before they can take office.  THE OATH: THEY MUST TAKE AND SAY THAT THEY AGREE TO EVERYTHING THAT IS IN THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, THIS INCLUDES THE 2ND AMENDMENT AND ALL THE OTHER AMENDMENTS.  If they do not agree to the CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES, the elected official should be removed from office.  It is the job of the Judicial Office to remove all elected officials that disagree with the Constitution of the United States.  DID YOU HEAR ME???  Then why hasn't the Supreme Court Justices REMOVED EVERY ELECTED OFFICIAL THAT HAS DISAGREED WITH THE CONSTITUTION WHEN IT COMES TO THE 2ND AMENDMENT????

Yes, we would be better off putting Veterans in charge of the VA administration.  We should also make sure that all elected officials have had to serve in the Military before they serve in Congress, Senate, the Supreme Court Justice, and any other elected seat be it either local, state or federal government. 

Putting Veterans in charge don't always work either Geraldine remember McCain was in charge for a while because he was a POW yet what did it get us? NOTHING but more BS.. He is now a full blown politician so he has turned on the Veterans. So NO putting a Veteran in charge don't always work either.

McCain was the wrong veteran to be in charge; a billionaire with properties and land all over could care less about veterans; he does not go to any V.A. hospitals , they all have personal care . The entire V.A. administration should be replaced with veterans ; all elected officials, retarded imbeciles corrupted congress should be Veterans, Senior Citizens, Retirees; we would have a better Nation and what is the reason of a w.h. and occupants ????nothing but wasted tax $$$; it is our Country , We are in charge and we need a major cleanup with no mercy and no compassion.

It's an absolute disgrace how our government treats our vets!!!!  And yet we shower out enemies with LOTS of money and military equipment.  I bet our Founding Fathers would think we are all a bunch of pussys for putting up with this crap.

Anyone who is in the VA system knows it's broke.  What I want to know is what the hell is the VA doing with a police force?  I drove 75+ miles recently to a VA hospital and big as day there in the parking lot was a VA police car. 

Since our fearless DHS chief has labelled returning Vets as potential internal terrorists...I'm sure the police force is there to protect all the vets from their fellow terrorists....ROFLMFHO....it's so insane, it's almost funny. 

I go to the V.A. in Temple ,22 miles one way from my home; to find a parking it is hell , and police all over; inside the Bldg there is a police station ; I wonder why ???? Some time ago I had a bad experience: I went to the emergency room, I had extreme pain all over  and after reporting to the desk ,Iwas told to wait my turn; after 5 hrs a nurse ( 250 lbs ) called me into her office; she looked at me and in a mocking voice she said... hummmm ..you are in pain ....well I lost it and replied ... nurse... look ....and starded pounding the wall with my head ; she got scared and run out , few seconds later a police officer came in , 6'  black policeman , stood at the door ,looked at me and said : sir what is your problem ? I was surprised and answered back saying : officer ...you know what....you are the first person here asking me about my problem  and the next door nurse , a black compassionate  good hearthed person( that new the entire story) came in and told the officer to leave and she took care of me and in 5 minutes time I was in the doctor office , a female doctor from Brazil; she said that the pain medication was the wrong medication causing kidney failure and today as a result of that mistake and other mistakes that followed , my kidney are functioning at 34 %. What a clusterf.,.....; and they call it
 Blu Ribbon service . Poor America

Never been to the VA there but the one in Dallas, Phoenix and San Antonio, all the same.  So why?

Its the SYSTEM itself, its barely past the 1940's, cannot handle the load that is on it...and

What few know is that the VA budget is included in the military budget as a result it competes for funds against planes, boats and soldiers...It NEEDS to be a separate funding line from the military...

Oaks are you sure about the funding.  One of the reasons the military wants everyone to apply for VA disability is because if you are less than 50% disabled your disability comes out of the VA pot and not the DOD pot.

"I’ve just never seen in an organization that has so much money and so many employees, such in-competence...You have to have a good executive core that leads and manages and trains. What you have is some good managers, but they’re thwarted by a vast number of leadership and management that really care about themselves first and the veterans second."

This says it all folks. They don't care about us all they care about is themselves. I fought long and hard for my Disability and worry every day if it will just GO AWAY... And trust me it can do just that. WHEW!

I have had a rating increase claim in since July 2011, as of yet, there has been no decision. All I get is, " We are still working on your claim and have not forgotten you. Please be patient while we work on your claim." Really???? Since July of 2011????? WHAT THE HELL..... This is just crazy....

obviously no one has told you that under the current system you actually screw yourself when you inquire about a claim. an inquiry stops the processing and moves your file to a clerk who responds to your request and then it takes about 5 to 6 months for your claim to get back where it was before the request.

RSS

About

Old Rooster created this Ning Network.

This effort is focused on sacrifice to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic.

Fox News

Tech Notes

Thousands of Deadly Islamic Terror Attacks Since 9/11

HOW TO JOIN YOUR STATE GROUP

1. Click on State Groups tab at the top of the page.
2. Find your State Flag
3. Click on Flag.
4. Look for link to join Your State Group near the top of the State Groups page.
5. Click on it.

Follow the Prompts

How to post "live" URL in posts at PFA............. Adding URLs in blog posts that are not "live" is a waste of everyone's time.....
Here's how....if anyone has better guidance send to me.....
First........type your text entry into the post block to include typing or paste the URL you want us to view........when finished with the text, highlight and copy the URL in the text.......then click the "add hyperlink" tool in the B, I, U box just above the text entry, after clicking, a window will open asking for the URL...paste the URL in the box and click "OK". You have now made the URL "live"...........it shows some code before the post is published, it goes away when you "publish post".......

Events

© 2019   Created by Old Rooster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service