Trump Trumps Trump

Debra J. Saunders

Donald Trump won some applause in Cleveland, but Thursday night spelled the beginning of his inevitable decline. It's fun for his fans to watch Trump flout convention, but eventually they figure out that this man will betray anyone.

From the opening, Trump showed what kind of Republican he truly is -- the snake variety. Fox News anchor Bret Baier asked the 10 candidates on stage to raise their hands if they refused to pledge to support the eventual GOP nominee and not run as an independent. Trump alone raised his hand.

Trump used to be a registered Democrat. He has donated to Clinton campaigns and Clinton causes. Before the reality TV star announced his candidacy, Bill Clinton reportedly urged Trump to get involved in the GOP primary. Now Republican voters are getting the picture: Trump might have no problem with helping Hillary Rodham Clinton by siphoning conservative votes away from the GOP in a three-way race.

Trump has his own private war on women. Fox News' Megyn Kelly asked the Donald about his references to women he doesn't like -- women he has called "fat pigs," "dogs" and "slobs." At first Trump tried to laugh off the question by saying he only used those words for comedian Rosie O'Donnell. Not true, Kelly responded. Trump then complained that this country is too politically correct. He is a bully who calls everyone names, yet whines when moderators ask him fair-game questions.

Why did he give money to the Clintons and other Democrats? To get them to do his bidding, he said. What did he get Hillary Clinton to do? "I said, 'Be at my wedding,' and she came to my wedding." Don't blame the Donald, though -- he doesn't. "Our system is broken," he trumpeted.

Trump will go the way of 2012 GOP presidential wannabes Michele Bachmann, Herman Cain and Newt Gingrich. So now who has the conservative chops to win primaries -- while looking like a winner who can appeal to voters outside the GOP base?

Not former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, who seems to think he can win the presidency by keeping his head down. He actually said, "Mr. Trump's language is divisive." Divisive? Someone tell him, please, that's how Democrats talk. Trump had no business on that stage if he is ready to run outside the Republican Party. Why is Bush afraid to put this joker in his place?

Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker and New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie acquitted themselves well. Ohio Gov. John Kasich wasn't afraid to reach to the center. He told the audience he personally opposes same-sex marriage, but "I just went to a wedding of a friend of mine who happens to be gay. Because someone doesn't think the way I do, doesn't mean that I can't care about them or love them."

But the biggest standout wasn't in the primetime debate. Former Hewlett-Packard CEO Carly Fiorina won the early-bird debate with six other Republicans who didn't qualify for the top-10 gala by flouting conventional wisdom and showing a Republican could go after Trump and survive. "I didn't get a phone call from Bill Clinton before I jumped in the race," she quipped. "Did any of you?"

You need to be a member of The Patriots For America to add comments!

Join The Patriots For America

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Lety article - why post trash on this site. IT IS ALL LIES!

• Going Rouge.... List your objections to voting for Tump and let's see if we can overcome your objections. Let's vet this guy amougst ourselves, no time like the present.
    • These are very good reasons, I'll give the others a chance to comment if anyone cares to. My only comment for now is Trump used the laws with respect to bankruptsy, he didn't however just print up more money
      Unlike or government does when it's in financial trouble. I'd be more concerned about that than Trumps bankruptcies.
  • Debra J. Saunders is a columnist for The San Francisco Chronicle

• I'm sorry to be stubborn about this but it seems to sound like a left leaning "hit" piece. You may not like D Trump but I have been thinking about the value he brings at this time. We Americans have been played by the politicians for many years. We have been sucked into a game that they play to keep us interested.Some one said: "To to do the same thing over and over and expect a different result is craziness ". Yes, we have been crazy to play the same election game and expect to get a different result. Every one is scared to death of a third party run because historically, it has split the vote and gotten a democrat in office. But doing the same thing over and over will not change the outcome. D Trump is a spoiler that has shaken the game up and put fear in the hearts of elites like Carl Rove and other notable power brokers. The GOP keeps putting looser candidates into the front of we the people and expects us to vote for their "friends". It is time for a change of methodology and that is what Trump brings to us.

• That is your choice Going Rogue..But i for one am fed fricking up with the establishment period..Cruz ,Carson , Or Trump...Will get my vote..If Jeb Bush is nominated i will either not vote or i will vote for a democrat...Bush is no damn better than Hillary...He is a PHONY..He has learned from the best..Sorry but that is how fed up iam with the republican party....Boehner ,McConnel, nothing but corrupt crooks..

• you're right about the establishment.

On the other hand, Trump isn't the only anti-establishment candidate, and there are far more conservative anti-establishment candidates.

Aside from that, why deliberately vote for a democrat? I understand being fed up with the GOP and I even understand voting for a third party, but voting for a democrat is, no offense, low, almost seeming out of spite. If you hate establishment GOP, why vote for the democrats who align with them? If you're not voting for a conservative, be they neocon or paleocon, AT LEAST DON'T vote for a democrat - it's not worth it, especially since you'd not only be losing us one vote, but you'd be giving THEM ANOTHER vote. There's a fine line between refusing to vote for a neocon and voting for the progressives who are no different.

Regardless, I hope to fricking heaven that Jeb isn't nominated. On the other hand, I will DEFINITELY ABSOLUTELY NEVER EVER be voting for Clinton or Biden, Sanders, etc., either.
  • Let me remind you of how Obama was re-elected in 2008. Several million conservative Christians didn't vote because Romney was a Mormon, so we got another 4 years of the Obama regime and more destruction. Smart reason, eh?

• You are correct John except for one thing it was 2012..But none the less i cannot say that i disagree with you but i have had it up to my eyeballs with lying no good crooked republicans..They are worse than the liberals ..At least the liberals tell you the way it is..........But i was just upset when i said i would vote for a democrat i would never do that ..But it would be hard for me to vote for Bush or many of the rest of this bunch..Carson ..OK  Cruz ..OK... Trump ...OK...As far as iam concerned the rest are big government RINOS..

• Jean, Trump could've gotten my support on the Mexican border comment he'd made early-on. But it has to be admitted that Trump has flipflopped over the years in the same way Romney did, and that's just infuriating.

He used to support universal healthcare, and he used to support gun control laws, just to name a few. How do we know he won't support cockamamy policies in the future?

I don't know if I trust him as "truly conservative." I'm all for anti-establishment non-RINO type candidate, but I am NOT seeing Trump as that candidate.

Bankruptcy, okay that I could get over. I'm also not ready to buy the whole "war on women" thing which was brought up. But in the end, Trump isn't my vision of a presidential candidate. He is good in business, but that doesn't make him good as a leader of our country, politically. I am QUITE arrogant and Trump still gets on my nerves for being TOO arrogant....especially while Ben Carson continues to be constructive unlike him, and honestly, I like Carson more.

neocon Jeb Bush is the favorite of neocon Fox, as is neocon Marco Rubio, but in my view, Trump is no different, except for a separate way of coming across. Fox is no better than CNBC, but Trump is just another shell trying to live up into Ross Perot's shadow; in the end, Ross Perot was far more conservative than Trump is, and Trump will never be my vision of conservatism, as will Bush and Christie never be.
This reply was deleted.