Military Personnel Should Be First On the ListVirginia argues that they don’t need to send out military absentee ballots in time to voteTim Kaine's appointee makes the callPosted by Soren Dayton (Profile) on United Conservatives of VirginiaSaturday, October 3rd at 12:46PM EDTLast year, we covered some of the problems in the counting of military absentee ballots in Virginia, as did others. This problem has not gone away. It has just moved. The day before election day 2008, the McCain campaign filed a complaint in the Eastern District of Virginia to force Virginia to count military absentee ballots that came in after election day. McCain lost Virginia by more than enough votes, but the case went on with the Department of Justice replacing the McCain campaign.There were filings last month and will likely be a hearing this month.So what?The Virginia State Board of Elections argued in their most recent filing that they have no legal obligation to send out military absentee ballots in a timely manner. Restated, the State of Virginia has argued in a federal court filing that they can legally send out absentee ballots to active duty soldiers the day before an election. Restated again, the Democratic Chairwoman of the Virginia State Board of Election (appointed by the Democratic National Committee Chair Tim Kaine, in his capacity as Virginia Governor) Jean Cunningham just claimed a legal basis for massively raising the barrier to voting for soldiers at war.Really. Read on for details.The details of the legal proceedings are at the invaluable http://moritzlaw.osu.edu/electionlaw/litigation/mccain-palinv.cunningham.php. Let’s start with the most recent filing on behalf of the defendant. There is no federal statute that requires States to mail absentee ballots to UOCAVA voters a minimum number of days before an election. The Complaint in Intervention is based entirely on a “determination” by the Federal Voting Assistance Program of the Department of Defense that such ballots be mailed at least 30 days before an election, and a “recommendation” that States allow 45 days for round-trip mailing of absentee ballots.This is remarkable, and the implications of this should be understood. First of all, some counties in both Virginia and New Jersey haven’t sent out absentee ballots yet in violation of their own laws. Whether due to maliciousness or simply being overburdened and understaffed is always up for debate. If Virginia prevails, there would be a legal argument for putting the ballots of active duty military at the back of the bus, as it were.Second, this whole debate concerns only federal elections. States have to pass laws that allow for military voting in non-federal elections. I do not believe that either state has done that. Virginia’s filing notes that many of these questions are irrelevant in many ways because of the Federal Write-in Absentee Ballot, but their flier on military voting notes “Virginia allows you use the FWAB as an absentee ballot for Federal Offices only”. In other words, not state and local elections. In fact, state laws have to do more to let active duty military vote in state elections.Third, if ballots were even to be sent out in a reasonable time, a question is them getting back in time. Rep. Kevin McCarthy, Rep. Dan Boren, Sen. John Cornyn, and Sen. Mark Begich have a proposal to have DoD pay for ballots to be returned by express mail, but Steny Hoyer and Nancy Pelosi are blocking consideration in the House, even though it passed the Senate last year.In discussing last year’s issues, Marc Ambinder noted, “Democrats insist they’re biased towards access… so will they try to intervene on behalf of these voters?”Good question.___________________________________Kudo's to HowardMassachusetts also has similar issues.http://www.publicnewsservice.org/index.php?/content/article/7577-1

You need to be a member of The Patriots For America to add comments!

Join The Patriots For America

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Of course,they won't.As Beck points out repeatedly,Our system is becoming
    as corrupt as that of any banana republic.MERRY CHRISTMAS,in advance
    to all,for I believe this particular holiday season will not be too jolly.

MOLON LABE
  • I don't know specifics, but Massachusetts also has similar issues.

Here's a link that I found:

http://www.publicnewsservice.org/index.php?/content/article/7577-1
  • Any one who willingly suppresses the military vote should be beaten to a bloody pulp! I don't see leftist libs overseas fighting . Maybe we need to start suppressing the leftist vote?
  • Haven't we had enough? The People have the Right to alter or abolish the government when it becomes destructive of Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness. If we can alter or abolish an ENTIRE government, how much more ONE Senator or Representative? Make a statement to your Governor & State Legislatures. Let them know how you feel about this, go here: http://openletter.avoiceofthepeople.com
  • It is more than absurd that our military has such difficulties in getting their votes counted. Of course the Left would put up road blocks to this right as most who serve in the military are or become conservative. This has been a problem in many states for many years- remember Florida in 2000. It's a shame the republicans didn't "fix" this when they had the majority. But then again, there doesn't seem to be too many good conservatives in the republican party either. At least the party politicians. TOO many of our politicians are in it for the power. They certainly do not honor their oath of office. I do believe we are truly facing a Constitional crisis. Personally, I WANT MY REPUBLIC BACK! For along time I believed we would one day have another revolution/civil war in this country. I just didn't think it would happen in my life time. I'm not so sure now. The sleeping giant is awakening. Now I'm getting off on tangents, so I guess it's time to close. God Bless America and its TRUE patriots.
    • Janine,
      That the goal of the traitorous liberals, minimize the consevative votes in all elections! Combine that with getting as many illegals, as possible, amnesty (with the reasonable expectation that they'll vote Demon-crat) and they'll be able to stay in power and continue to dis-assemble our nation, as we know it.
      Being a veteran myself (Vietnam) I think we should be FIRST in line for consideration of having our votes counted! Who else has figuratively written a blank check to our nation, with the amount specified "up to and including the sacrifice of my life, in defense of my country"??? This is a near-criminal TRAVESTY, fostered by the liberals, Demon-crats and traitorous RINOs in our political system!
      Time for a Second American Revolution, while we still have a constitutional republic!
This reply was deleted.