WALTER REED UPDATE 8/21/09
Below is the map showing the TAKOMA METRO STATION which is closest to the hospital. Short-term parking is available at this station. There is also bus service from the metro station to WR. I will be posting maps, fares schedules ASAP. While our Free Republic friends have offered to provide refreshments and ask for donations, anyone desiring to bring "grilling gear" is more than welcome!
Rather than walk from the TAKOMA metroRAIL station to WR, the FReepers prefer to send people in cars to shuttle us to the hospital. Anyone of you willing to pitch in and help shuttle folks to and from the hospital PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE. IF YOU POST YOUR RESPONSE IN THIS DISCUSSION, I AM LIKELY TO MISS IT!
Things get going at WR at about 6:15 or so. Folks may or may not choose to stay the entire time (troops return from dinner around 9:30). I will be in/around BUS BAY E
at the TAKOMA
metroRAIL station by 5:30 pm, holding a sign that says PFA: WR.
I have uploaded a copy of metroBUS information also.
I will make arrangements for Free Republic friends to begin shuttling folks to WR at 6:15.
At some point before 9/9/09, I suggest we have a "cell phone number exchange" in order to facilitate ease of carrying off this event. Please send questions to me via a MESSAGE rather than posting to this discussion.
View Larger Map
WALTER REED UPDATE 8/12/09
The following is the latest communication from our Free Republic friends
These folks are AWESOME!!
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 17:23:28 -0700
Looking forward to seeing you all in September.
We are having a Chapter meeting this Sunday to discuss in detail what we will be doing in September. To better coordinate Friday night, do you have any idea how many from your group might be there? Also, what group are you with. I didn't see that in the messages I was forwarded.
To save your group from having to buy a lot of stuff and then bring it to WR, the Chapter was going to get and set up for the evening and ask for donations. As mentioned, feel free to bring anything you want, we'll just need to coordinate a little.
To help generate funds for the Chapter, we'll also have some neat things to sell or give away for a small donation.
Phil, aka [Mr] T, aka [Mr] Trooprally
WE NEED TO GIVE THEM A GOOD ESTIMATE OF HOW MANY OF US WILL BE THERE. TO BE COUNTED, PLEASE, PLEASE DO THE FOLLOWING:
SEND ME A MESSAGE: SUBJ: WR RSVP. INDICATE HOW MANY IN YOUR GROUP.
WR UPDATE: 8/7/09
The following is an email I received from Tom Seeman in Washington, D.C. Tom is a Patriot who has devoted himself to the consistent support of our troops who are recovering at Walter Reed.
"It's good to hear from you, and that the Patriots for America will be coming to Washington DC Sept 11/12! Here is some info on our WR FReeps
* Walter Reed Army Medical Center - 6900 Georgia Ave NE, Washington DC 20307. There are two entrances on Georga Ave, but one is closed off. We are at the only entrance open to traffic, which is at Georgia and Elder street. I know it sounds like a cliche but it's easy to spot.
* We get there every Friday evening starting at about 6:30 and stay until the bus comes back from dinner with the troops, which is usually between 9 and 10.
* There is parking in a small church parking lot at the corner where we stand, and also on the street.
* If you want to take the metro there is a metrorail stop about a half-mile from the WR, but the walk to WR winds through several streets - let us know if you want to do this as we'll have to arrange for someone to pick you up.
* We set up a small table in the parking lot and bring food and drink, and usually order pizza. Sometimes we bring small gas grills. You are welcome to bring food and drink or not as you prefer.
* We have plenty of signs and flags but you are welcome to bring your own.
Please let me know your questions, otherwise I look forward to seeing you there!"
KEEP THOSE CARDS AND LETTERS COMING! POST YOUR IDEAS AND LET'S MAKE OUR TROOPS KNOW THAT WE ARE PROUD AMERICANS WHO ARE SUPPORTING AND THANKFUL FOR THE PRICELESS GIFT THEY GIVE TO OUR NATION!!!!!