WALTER REED VISIT IN SEPTEMBER

WALTER REED UPDATE 8/21/09Below is the map showing the TAKOMA METRO STATION which is closest to the hospital. Short-term parking is available at this station. There is also bus service from the metro station to WR. I will be posting maps, fares schedules ASAP. While our Free Republic friends have offered to provide refreshments and ask for donations, anyone desiring to bring "grilling gear" is more than welcome!Rather than walk from the TAKOMA metroRAIL station to WR, the FReepers prefer to send people in cars to shuttle us to the hospital. Anyone of you willing to pitch in and help shuttle folks to and from the hospital PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE. IF YOU POST YOUR RESPONSE IN THIS DISCUSSION, I AM LIKELY TO MISS IT!Things get going at WR at about 6:15 or so. Folks may or may not choose to stay the entire time (troops return from dinner around 9:30). I will be in/around BUS BAY E at the TAKOMA metroRAIL station by 5:30 pm, holding a sign that says PFA: WR. I have uploaded a copy of metroBUS information also.I will make arrangements for Free Republic friends to begin shuttling folks to WR at 6:15.At some point before 9/9/09, I suggest we have a "cell phone number exchange" in order to facilitate ease of carrying off this event. Please send questions to me via a MESSAGE rather than posting to this discussion.
View Larger MapWALTER REED UPDATE 8/12/09The following is the latest communication from our Free Republic friendsThese folks are AWESOME!!Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 17:23:28 -0700KimLooking forward to seeing you all in September.We are having a Chapter meeting this Sunday to discuss in detail what we will be doing in September. To better coordinate Friday night, do you have any idea how many from your group might be there? Also, what group are you with. I didn't see that in the messages I was forwarded.To save your group from having to buy a lot of stuff and then bring it to WR, the Chapter was going to get and set up for the evening and ask for donations. As mentioned, feel free to bring anything you want, we'll just need to coordinate a little.To help generate funds for the Chapter, we'll also have some neat things to sell or give away for a small donation.Phil, aka [Mr] T, aka [Mr] TrooprallyWE NEED TO GIVE THEM A GOOD ESTIMATE OF HOW MANY OF US WILL BE THERE. TO BE COUNTED, PLEASE, PLEASE DO THE FOLLOWING:SEND ME A MESSAGE: SUBJ: WR RSVP. INDICATE HOW MANY IN YOUR GROUP.WR UPDATE: 8/7/09The following is an email I received from Tom Seeman in Washington, D.C. Tom is a Patriot who has devoted himself to the consistent support of our troops who are recovering at Walter Reed."It's good to hear from you, and that the Patriots for America will be coming to Washington DC Sept 11/12! Here is some info on our WR FReeps* Walter Reed Army Medical Center - 6900 Georgia Ave NE, Washington DC 20307. There are two entrances on Georga Ave, but one is closed off. We are at the only entrance open to traffic, which is at Georgia and Elder street. I know it sounds like a cliche but it's easy to spot.* We get there every Friday evening starting at about 6:30 and stay until the bus comes back from dinner with the troops, which is usually between 9 and 10.* There is parking in a small church parking lot at the corner where we stand, and also on the street.* If you want to take the metro there is a metrorail stop about a half-mile from the WR, but the walk to WR winds through several streets - let us know if you want to do this as we'll have to arrange for someone to pick you up.* We set up a small table in the parking lot and bring food and drink, and usually order pizza. Sometimes we bring small gas grills. You are welcome to bring food and drink or not as you prefer.* We have plenty of signs and flags but you are welcome to bring your own.Please let me know your questions, otherwise I look forward to seeing you there!"KEEP THOSE CARDS AND LETTERS COMING! POST YOUR IDEAS AND LET'S MAKE OUR TROOPS KNOW THAT WE ARE PROUD AMERICANS WHO ARE SUPPORTING AND THANKFUL FOR THE PRICELESS GIFT THEY GIVE TO OUR NATION!!!!!

BUS INFO from TAKOMA METRO Station.doc

You need to be a member of The Patriots For America to add comments!

Join The Patriots For America

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• No info, but definitely interested in participating so I can show my appreciation to our dedicated military!
  • Please view the PFA home page for information........scroll down about half way.........
  • Many patriots (me included!) have expressed an interest in forming a group to visit WITH our soldiers at WR. I have read info indicating WR rules have recently changed and visitors are now required to be "connected" with a patient in order to gain admission. I'm looking into this for further details. To post further information regarding an "inside" visit, I am starting a new discussion, WALTER REED VISIT WITH.
  • Walter Reed is a very good Hospital. I spent time there in 2004 when I had spinal surgery. I was Medvac out of Iraq in 04. At that time there was an overload of wounded coming into Walter Reed and I think the staff held their own trying to keep up. I have great respect fot Walter Reed Army Medical Center.
  • Great news.........we have a map on PFA from Comfort Inn for those driving to Walter Reed...........please try and plan to attend.

View here
  • I would guess there will be 10 or 20 of us coming from the free digs in MD
    Yu can reach me at ecoquesttom@aol.com until about 9/9/09
  • I look forward to this opportunity to support the troops at Watler Reed. I will be staying in a motel (Comfort Inn) in Falls Church, VA. and will need assistance in transportation to/from Walter Reed. I am limited in my walking distances and climbing stairs. Otherwise I can help doing what ever or where ever you need me. I will watch for travel arrangements. Perhaps others from the motel will be coming too.
  • I've spent several Friday nights during the past couple of years at WR with the Freepers - Awesome people! And they love it when people come to stand with them. It's an absolutely terrific time.

The troops love it too!

FYI - There''s always a couple of police officers there that watch out for us all.
    • I have reservations at the Comfort Inn the evening of 09-10-09 - 09-12-09 and am planning on visiting Walter Reed. Hope to see you there.
  • We will be staying at the Comfort Inn in Falls Church, and will be going to Walter Reed. Lowell, there will be plenty driving over, so we'll get you there.
This reply was deleted.