WHY RICK PERRY? Let's Have A Discussion

Governor Rick Perry..............Why? 

How did Governor Rick Perry become the top pick of the GOP candidates for president?  

I’m trying to grasp the tangible evidence that catapulted Governor Perry over every other GOP presidential candidate.  He was rated by several polls near the top of the GOP candidate list before he even made his formal candidacy announcement.  Once he announced, if you believe the media, the GOP candidate to oppose Obama had been selected. 

He’s not the only Governor in the race…what is it?  My gut impression is that Perry has an excellent publicity apparatus that has flooded the media with ”Rick is great” slogans, not to mention his democrat background.  Frankly, my observation of his appearance in two candidate debates, based on performance and substance, leaves me with less than a favorable impression. 

Given, some candidates have more favorable “stage presence” than others…surely Perry’s stage presence provides much room for improvement.  He is slow on his feet, searches for words, seems uneasy, and awkward in his answers.  Occasionally I have the urge to reach down his throat and pull some words out… 

So, being the smooth, articulate Gingrich, Bachmann, Cain, Romney, Santorum, perhaps others, Governor Perry is not. However, the method of message delivery doesn’t necessarily count a candidate out…Senator McCain proved that.  He couldn’t hit his butt with both hands on the stage. 

Then how about substance?  Has Governor Perry demonstrated substitutive justification that supports his top of the GOP candidate pile?  I have heard him speak and others seem to verify that job creation in Texas accounts for a majority of the employment created in the U.S. over the last two years.  Other than jobs, nothing else of significance has surfaced to give one a “tingle down the leg”, in fact, Governor Huntsman claims himself as the job king.  Ron Paul says Perry has put Texas in debt, raised taxes and Perry hasn’t refuted Paul.  Perry has also taken serious hits on his support for tuition assistance for illegal aliens, his answer for the illegal alien border problem, and the effort to force a questionable inoculation for 11-12 year old girls against cervical cancer without a “parental opt-in”.  

Perry’s background hasn’t even been touched yet.  There is considerable fodder that should raise serious questions as to his conservative credentials.  He should be required to explain his democrat background, international involvements, etc.  He may provide a satisfactory answer, but it hasn’t been asked yet. 

A point here. Are we going to allow the media to select the candidate to oppose Obama by pushing other credible, qualified candidates into the background while focusing on the two the media desires?  We allowed the 2008 GOP presidential candidate to be selected by the media and the political apparatus.  As Governor Palin says, “how’s that working out for ya?” 

Are we about to select another “McCain” to oppose Obama?  We all know Obama made McCain look like the ignoramus he really is…the most valid evidence of the “peter principle” one could imagine. Will we repeat the same error hoping for a better outcome? 

Let’s get the strongest candidate that will carry the constitution, bill of rights, and Founding Father principles into the White House…maybe it will be Rick Perry but I’m not sold yet.  

I am sold on the courage, strength, moral clarity, solid credentials of Michele Bachmann.  Why?  Given everything else, her heart beats for America and it will stop before she betrays her principled constitutional positions.  She took both Perry and Romney to the woodshed during the CNN debate, and did so with poise and clarity.   

We need Bachmann’s titanium spine and leadership.  Is she perfect?  Probably not, is anyone?

Harry Riley, COL, USA, Ret

You need to be a member of The Patriots For America to add comments!

Join The Patriots For America

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• What is going to happen if Michele runs out of money, and leaves the race?
    The two selections of Romney and Perry are not that palatable to all, and I don't believe that all the Bachmann followers from the Tea Party will go with Perry.
    And, what if Palin jumps in because Bachman is out, will this add another level to include Palin and Gingrich?
  • J M J

HARRY; IT WON'T PASTE !  ???

• It will be interesting how the 22 Sep debate turns out Katy.....some may be weeded out and maybe the top playing field will be leveled out a bit........but maybe not.  There could be some shifting based on the strength of the candidates performance.....
  • Bachmann/Cain is my choice. Thank you for a most well-reasoned commentary

Tim Marvin

• We must go into this election with our eyes and ears wide open! !
    • I would like to whole heartedly support Ron Paul, but on several TV shows he says he will bury Social Security...the US will be like India, with the elderly begging on the streets, when they are kicked out of their low income housing, and nursing homes!  Social Security is not an "Entitlement", we have paid into it all our lives!!

The Senate does not pay into their huge retirement program, therefore it is a true entitlement...

Ron Paul really scares me for this reason!!

• Duane,
        Don't drink the kool-aid... Everything Ron Paul says can be backed either by the Constitution itself, or by the thought processes the framers were thinking about when they conceived it.
        He isn't pro Iranian... he's about staying out of other peoples business UNLESS we have no choice.
        He's not "for" drugs... he's about the Constitution giving specific named powers to Government and withholding any not so named for the States, so it is not a Central Government right to legislate drug control, but a States right.
        The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government are few and defined. Those which are to remain in the State governments are numerous and indefinite.
        James Madison, Federalist No. 45, January 26, 1788

'Tis folly in one Nation to look for disinterested favors from another; that it must pay with a portion of its Independence for whatever it may accept under that character; that by such acceptance, it may place itself in the condition of having given equivalents for nominal favours and yet of being reproached with ingratitude for not giving more. There can be no greater error than to expect, or calculate upon real favours from Nation to Nation. 'Tis an illusion which experience must cure, which a just pride ought to discard.
        George Washington, Farewell Address, September 19, 1796

Against the insidious wiles of foreign influence, (I conjure you to believe me fellow citizens) the jealousy of a free people ought to be constantly awake; since history and experience prove that foreign influence is one of the most baneful foes of Republican Government.
        George Washington, Farewell Address, September 19, 1796

My ardent desire is, and my aim has been... to comply strictly with all our engagements foreign and domestic; but to keep the United States free from political connections with every other Country. To see that they may be independent of all, and under the influence of none. In a word, I want an American character, that the powers of Europe may be convinced we act for ourselves and not for others; this, in my judgment, is the only way to be respected abroad and happy at home.
        George Washington, letter to Patrick Henry, October 9, 1775
        • And BTW, who needs a fence if we bring our troops home, we can have them standing "shoulder to shoulder" at the border!
          • With Rue Pauls repeal of DADT, we would have a bunch of fairies dancing on our borders.
            • Are you saying all the military is gay?

I don't condone the repeal of DADT, but if someone is supporting the Constitution, fighting for our country and will stand up for Constitution, I don't care if he/she is white, black or purple, straight or gay.

This reply was deleted.