WWII vet who provided flag on Iwo Jima has died

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/04/28/wwii-vet-iwo-jima-flag/2118565/

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Alan Wood, a World War II veteran credited with providing the flag in the famous flag-raising on Iwo Jima, has died. He was 90.

Wood died April 18 of natural causes at his Sierra Madre home, his son Steven Wood said Saturday.

Wood was a 22-year-old Navy officer in charge of communications on a landing ship on Iwo Jima's shores Feb. 23, 1945 when a Marine asked him for the biggest flag that he could find.

After five days of fighting to capture the Japanese-held island, U.S. forces had managed to scale Mount Suribachi to hoist an American flag.

Wood happened to have a 37-square-foot flag he had found months before in a Pearl Harbor Navy depot. .

Five Marines and a Navy Corpsman later raised that flag in a stirring moment captured by Associated Press photographer Joe Rosenthal.

Read the rest at link above.

You need to be a member of The Patriots For America to add comments!

Join The Patriots For America

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Rest in peace. Thank you for your devotion to America.

• Thank you, sir, a true American who gave us today's freedoms.

Once this generation is gone, the school history books will be rewitten on WWII (just like they have done about our founding fathers). You watch.
  • Slowly our patriots are standing in the door to leap into the hereafter, May he rest in peace.

• We can't let this moment be forgotten...nor Alan Wood,  and the others who made it happen.  We can't let the progressives and America haters change our World War II history. 

• I PRAY HIS SOUL GOES QUICKLY TO HEAVEN ( TALKS TO GOD AND COMES BACK WITH ENOUGH ANGEL WARRIORS TO HELP US TAKE BACK THIS COUNTRY) ===== WITH HIS SPIRIT IN MIND .

• Why , in Gods world, would anyone want to have the heroes of the past return to do the job that the current population ( LEGAL ) doesn't have the guts to do for them selves.  I think itls time that we stood up for ourselves instead of passing the buck on to those who already paid their dues.

• Rest Peacefully, warrior brother

• Rest in peace and God bless you!  Thank you for your service.  Sad.  

I don't recall hearing this in the news.  But, then again......I can't stomach watching more than a few minutes of the LSM.  At least I should have heard this on my Christian radio station.  I didn't. 

I didn't know the flag used was purchased in a Pearl Harbor Navy depot.  That is a thought provoking piece of trivia.

This reply was deleted.

Activity

Oldrooster posted a discussion
Sunday
Apr 8
Mar 31
Mar 27
Mar 24