"I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same;..."

SUPPORT, n. The act or operation of upholding or sustaining.

1. That which upholds, sustains or keeps from falling, as a prop, a pillar, a foundation of any kind.

2. That which maintains life; as, food is the support of life, of the body, of strength. Oxygen or vital air has been supposed to be the support of respiration and of heat in the blood.

3. Maintenance; subsistence; as an income sufficient for the support of a family; or revenue for the support of the army and navy.

4. Maintenance; an upholding; continuance in any state, or preservation from falling, sinking or failing; as taxes necessary for the support of public credit; a revenue for the support of government.

5. In general, the maintenance or sustaining of any thing without suffering it to fail, decline or languish; as the support of health, spirits, strength or courage; the support of reputation, credit, &c.

6. That which upholds or relieves; aid; help; succor; assistance.

DEFEND, v.t.

1. To drive from; to thrust back; hence, to deny; to repel a demand, charge, or accusation; to oppose; to resist; the effect of which is to maintain ones own claims.

2. To forbid; to prohibit; that is, to drive from, or back. Milton calls the forbidden fruit, the defended fruit.

3. To drive back a foe or danger; to repel from any thing that which assails or annoys; to protect by opposition or resistance; to support or maintain; to prevent from being injured, or destroyed.

4. To vindicate; to assert; to uphold; to maintain uninjured, by force or by argument; as, to defend our cause; to defend rights and privileges; to defend reputation.

5. To secure against attacks or evil; to fortify against danger or violence; to set obstacles to the approach of any thing that can annoy. A garden may be defended by a wall, a hill or a river.

Definitions from 1828 Webster Dictionary

You need to be a member of The Patriots For America to add comments!

Join The Patriots For America

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• "Support" means that I will do everything in my power to promote and abide by Constitutional Law.

"Defend" means that I will gladly give my life to protect and uphold Constitutional Law and The American Way!

Folks, it's time to GEAR UP!

• It goes without saying that the current cadre of professional Washington based, agenda driven, politicians who purportedly represent, "We The People", do so from a perspective that holds little regard for the Constitutional mandates they swore to "Support and Defend".  If the individual members of our armed forces honored their oath as our politicians do the America  we know would have been history long ago.  If we allow manipulating politicians to continue down the path they have set us on by expressing our displeasure with words alone, rather than action, our Country will be a clone of Europe in the not too distant future. 

• Max is right on, GEAR UP!

• AMEN!!!  Obama has failed miserably on both accounts!!  He should be summarily removed from office and tried for treason and malfeasence!!!

• When I took that oath....   It was PROTECT and Defend...  

When the Hell and Who changed the wording??

Time to Gear Up is NOW!!

• I Stand Corrected. and stand with my head bowed.  After Reviewing the Current Oath of Office...

LTC TERRY LAKIN honored his Oath!!

The Military Current Oath is listed as:

The wordings of the current oath of enlistment and oath for commissioned officers are as follows:

"I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God." (Title 10, US Code; Act of 5 May 1960 replacing the wording first adopted in 1789, with amendment effective 5 October 1962).

"I, _____ (SSAN), having been appointed an officer in the Army of the United States, as indicated above in the grade of _____ do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office upon which I am about to enter; So help me God." (DA Form 71, 1 August 1959, for officers.)

• I note in both it is the US Constitution that is named first. Yet so many Freepers--and elsewhere  in addressing the Marine under fire for what he posted on his Facebook page  seem to think those who enlist have higher obligation to support and defend whoever is President  -over and above any Constitutional  obligation. Same ol  Same Old as what happened with Army Spc.  New  and Mr.Lakin . those who defend the Oath taken deserve our respect-and support.

• Add to these definitions by way of comparison the term Patriotism from the dictionary compared to what is given today. It was NO passive term nor  mental exercise of mere assent /or platonic love of country  but an active act of will to protect and defend our Country. Off your ruck and in the muck!

• Domestic Enemies are Traitors to our Christian Constitutional Republic. 

• Twana,

I stand corrected. 

This reply was deleted.