Many of us know our heritage history and some of us don't. I wish I knew more of mine......my Choctaw Indian history is being revised into White men are bad bandwagon. I don't know my Irish history....

How many of us have this history that we can share. If we post it here, who knows how far and wide it will be spread for maybe even youth to know some of their history.

Please consider sharing yours here. I look forward to reading them all and sharing them.

Twana

Views: 738

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My Mother is from British Royalty...last name of James related back to King James.  She was born in Australia.

My Father is an American mutt...Danish, British, German, Cherokee.  He served in WWII getting shot down over Normandy.  He is related to William Harvey, the discoverer of the blood flow thru veins.

My mom's grandfather, too, although I said only that my heritage goes back to England.  Ours is through John Locke in the colonies, to England; however, he was not the famous John Locke "Philosopher"--they were, if I recall correctly here, 6th cousins.  In any case, I'd already known of the famous work of the philosopher, Locke.  Thanks, Mark for commenting.  I'm also a mixed ancestry, like you!  Whatever we are a part of, makes us whole as a person!  Cheers.  Above all, I AM AN AMERICAN today!

My brother has done an intensive ancestral search of my mother's relatives.  She had an unusual maiden name, Peebler, which made it easier.  He did not tackle my father's relatives as dad was a Johnson through and through.  His father's name, of course, was Johnson, but so was his mother's maiden name.  I am eligible to belong to the Daughters of the Revolution through my mom's side but was never really interested although I think it's cool to know it!

What is special to me about my heritage is Dad was a small business man.  He owned and operated a weekly newspaper in a small town west of Portland, Oregon.  I lived my first 18 years in Sherwood with a dad who was a well known and respected man in town.  He and another friend, in an attempt to bolster business in Sherwood, started the annual Robin Hood Festival which continues to this day.  The "Robin Hood" men of town wore loose brown tights, forest green shirts and wore a bow and quiver with arrows over the back.  The main event during the three day festival was the crawdad boil.  One year dad had a Robin Hood Festival special, a two year subscription to the newspaper for a silver dollar.  That was half price!  And a silver dollar was worth a dollar!  Mom was mostly a homemaker.  She worked in the shop for dad the first three days of the week to be in the office while he "got the paper out".  He often times didn't get home until midnight on the night he printed the paper.  I have memories of my dad coming to school programs and he was about the only man there because it was during the day and other men couldn't take the time off.  I was always proud to have him there.  During high school I worked in dad's shop for spending money.  He was a tough boss.  We had a back way through the building to the restaurant on the corner.  When he gave me my 15 minute break he meant 15 minutes which also meant it was from the time I stood up to the time I returned and was ready to begin working again!  I will always be thankful for him  teaching me good ethics.

Well, folks, thanks for giving me the time to stroll down memory lane.  It's been awhile.  Dad died in December of 2000 just three weeks before mom in January 2001.  He was a 89 and mom 87.  They had been married 67 years.

I am a Heinz 57 and proud of it!  I came from good stock.  My family was the typical apple pie, all American family who loved the flag and fourth of July.  My dad worked hard and mom partnered with him doing what she could to help.  Mom and dad were from the last greatest generation.  I pray some day this nation would return to those values and principles practiced in that generation.  But for now, we prepare physically, emotionally and most of all spiritually for what is coming and train those we can to learn from those basics of the past and take them forward to implant one day in the future.

NICE

I feel as you, Judy--eligible for Daughters of the American Revolution, but don't feel the need to join up.  5th-Great Grandfathers on both sides of both my mother's parents, my maternal grandparents, have documented ancestors who served in the American Revolution.  I limited my specific reply to Twana, however, to the Native American connection.  In the Revolution, New York and Virginia militias involved for my two 5th-Great Grandfathers.  We are Americans today, and we have a major new job to do!  ROAR!

Judy thank you for sharing. I like you wish for the "days of Old" when things might have been harder but more

about ethics and self-descipline. That is so much needed today.

This is an abbreviated history that I wrote for my children, there is so much more that I could share with them if they were only interested.

Attachments:

My Eaton ancestor came over in 1630 from England

My Felch ancestor, Henry Felch, came over in about 1640 from Wales via England

My Cahoon (Colquhoun) ancestor, William Cohoone got an all expenses paid trip from Oliver Cromwell in 1651. (He was a POW from the Battle of Dunbar Scotland in 1650)

My Daley ancestor came from Ireland in the upper part of the 1800's.  Charles Daley married to Johanna Harrington whose daughter Josephine Gertrude Daley married my grandpa Fred C. Cahoon.

Irish ancestry is a long hard paper chase but baptisms, weddings, births and deaths are usually kept in the parish registers of the Church where the people were born...good luck with that.

The easiest one was the Cahoon ancestor as he was listed by the LDS geneology site because one of William's descendents, Reynolds Cahoon, was a religiouse...that's right, he was the only "white sheep" in the family...He was a Mormon back in the day and actually knew Joseph Smith and went west to Illinois with him...

There is a book about the Eatons and covers all of them up to my grandmother and her siblings.

There is also a book somewhere about the Felch family, probably Amazon would have it or could locate it for you.  It wasn't too hard to trace them because Dr. Daniel Felch was a grandson of Henry the first ancestor and we are from his'clan'...

Tracing Indian ancestry for eastern tribes might be a bit hard but Creeks were in the Carolinas, Alabama and Georgia before they were shipped to Oklahoma...a bunch stayed behind and hid out...check tribal councils...starting with your most recent Indian ancestor and where they were born and check the nearest Indian council house.

The Algonquin tribes of the north east comprising most of New England, best bet there is to check with the ones in Maine or Canada.  After Passaconaway died, one son took part of the people up to Canada to join with other Algonquin tribes and the remainder was scattered or absorbed into the wiite population...that is where I get my Indian ancestry from..

Navajo descendents are better organized and you can write to their state organizations for info...Navajos, like Mormons, are very consciencious about family and ancestry.  It is a matriarchial society and usually this is how they trace...

This is the best I can do on short notice.

Wingy

My Fathers side came to the U S in 1895 from County Galway Ireland.

My Mothers side from County Limerick in 1912/13.

Now my good story. As I was doing some research  at the Federal Records Center on Houston St in New York City I was

turned away from entering the building.  Why ?, because I was carring a handgun.  I am one of the few licensed to

carry in N Y C but you still cant bring it into a Federal building.  I had to go stash it in the car and go back in.

Jim

My paternal Great Grandmother was Sicangu Lakota and Dutch. Her Father was a Dutch Fur trapper, she was born in the 1930's

I have been working on my genealogy for over 20 years, so I have uncovered quite a lot, both good and bad.  On my paternal side, I got back to 1598 in London, England. They had two sons who ventured to the Colonies, Boston, in 1640, and then to Hartford, Connecticut area where they stayed for about 200 years before starting toward the West (West of Connecticut, that is).  My line eventually settled in Western NY State in 1814 (near Buffalo, NY), and then down to the Genessee Valley.  My Grandmother's Mother on my father's side was the daughter of a Seneca Indian maiden. My ancestors fought in the Rev War, the war of 1812, the Civil War, WWI and WWII.  My cousins and I served in the Vietnam War.  One of my sons served in the Middle East. My namesake Uncle was a B-24 Bomber Pilot in WWII and flew 52 missions over Romania.  He was a strong believer in God, and before every mission he would pray with his crew.  None of the crew nor himself were ever injured severly when he was flying, although some of the crew members were killed while flying in other bombers.  One time the entire glass nose of the plane was taken out with flak, and a piece of hot shrapnel hit the machine gun just above the pilot, and then dropped down into his lap. (He saved the peice of shrapnel and showed it to me when I interviewed him for his story.)  It was red hot, of course, and he had to do a little dance to get it out of his lap quickly.  He plane was so shot up that time that the tail gunner was unable to crawl from the rear to the front; there was a big hole though the fuselage and it was a miracle that the plane did not break in half.  My Uncle had the crew on standby ready to bail out as he did not think he could bring the plane back to Casablanca.  He flew it low over the Meditranian, but somehow was able to get the plane back to base safely.  He was told that the plane was so shot up and had so many holes in it that theorectically it could not fly.  He received the Cross of Galantry for even getting it back to base.  He passed at age 89 in 2009.  So we have a family line that loves and that has served our country.  I even found a relative who went up the hill with Teddy Roosevelt in Cuba.  I have not followed all the maternal lines to know all the other blood lines.  I also followed my spouse's line back to the year 1020 in France, then to England in the 1400s.  Probably of most interest to most of you is that one of the first Hollywood Cowboy's of Silent Movie Film days, Tom Mix, and my grandfather were eighth cousins.  That makes me the 8th Cousin, twice removed, of Tom Mix.  He also served under Teddy Roosevelt and was a First Sgt.  Later he became a circus performer using his horse, Tony, and became a trick rope thrower.  He died in an auto accident in 1940 in Arizona.  Also, perhaps of interest is that my ancestors back in the 1700's donated 3/4ths of the original land for Yale College, now Yale University. The other fourth was donated by the spouse who married a sister of the same family.  Oh yes, I have several others who fought at Valley Forge, and one who got a battlefield commission and went on to serve and lead a company of colored troops in the final big battle at St Petersburg, VA where he was shot and left for dead on the battlefield, but in fact he lived and was taken prisoner and incarcerated at the famous Anderson Prison in the South.  His wife received the standard government letter that he was KIA.  After the war he was released, and the first time anyone knew that he was still alive was when he showed up at home.  Had the war not ended when it did, he probably would not have survived as he was gravely wounded.  But he recovered.  They moved out West to Iowa.  His wife couldn't handle the rural life though, and eventually left with their three children and went back to Boston and a Social Life.  In time he remarried and had seven more sons.  Now we are spread out all over the country and our numbers rival the sand on the sea shore.  Yes, genealogy can be very challenging, interesting, and fun. But be prepared to learn some things that you wish were not so.

As noted below; I live near the area that Tom Mix passed in a car crash.  There is a memorial there to him and I would be happy to take a picture of it for you if you have not been there before?  There is a Rest Stop there and the memorial.

RSS

About

Old Rooster created this Ning Network.

This effort is focused on sacrifice to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic.

Fox News

Tech Notes

Thousands of Deadly Islamic Terror Attacks Since 9/11

HOW TO JOIN YOUR STATE GROUP

1. Click on State Groups tab at the top of the page.
2. Find your State Flag
3. Click on Flag.
4. Look for link to join Your State Group near the top of the State Groups page.
5. Click on it.

Follow the Prompts

How to post "live" URL in posts at PFA............. Adding URLs in blog posts that are not "live" is a waste of everyone's time.....
Here's how....if anyone has better guidance send to me.....
First........type your text entry into the post block to include typing or paste the URL you want us to view........when finished with the text, highlight and copy the URL in the text.......then click the "add hyperlink" tool in the B, I, U box just above the text entry, after clicking, a window will open asking for the URL...paste the URL in the box and click "OK". You have now made the URL "live"...........it shows some code before the post is published, it goes away when you "publish post".......

Events

© 2020   Created by Old Rooster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service