Obama hopes to enact new gun-control measures in 2013

I hope we the people put our full weight behind the 2nd amendment!

Twana

The Hill

By Meghashyam Mali

President Obama on Sunday said he would make gun control a priority in his new term, pledging to put his “full weight” behind passing new restrictions on firearms in 2013.

“I'm going to be putting forward a package and I'm going to be putting my full weight behind it,” Obama said in an interview aired on NBC’s “Meet the Press.” “I'm going to be making an argument to the American people about why this is important and why we have to do everything we can to make sure that something like what happened at Sandy Hook Elementary does not happen again.”

In the wake of the Dec. 14 mass shooting at a Newtown, Conn., school, the president has launched a White House task force led by Vice President Biden to present proposals in January to help stem gun violence. Obama has said that he would seek a broad approach to the problem addressing the role of violence in entertainment and measures to improve mental healthcare.

But he has also called on Congress to move quickly to reinstate the federal assault weapons ban and a ban on the sale of high-capacity magazines.

Obama on Sunday repeated those calls and said he would meet with lawmakers on both sides of the aisles to see action. 

“I've been very clear that an assault-rifle ban, banning these high capacity clips, background checks, that there are a set of issues that I have historically supported and will continue to support,” the president said.

“I'd like to get it done in the first year.  I will put forward a very specific proposal based on the recommendations that Joe Biden's task force is putting together as we speak. And so this is not something that I will be putting off."

But the push for heightened gun control will likely face tough political opposition, with the nation’s largest gun lobby, the National Rifle Association (NRA), saying they will oppose any new restrictions. 

The group earlier this month held a press conference calling for national program to place armed guards in the nation’s schools, a move they said would be more effective at preventing future tragedies like in Newtown. 

Obama in the interview said that he hoped to involve all “stakeholders” in the national debate over gun violence, but he expressed unease with the NRA’s proposal. 

“I am not going to prejudge the recommendations that are given to me.  I am skeptical that the only answer is putting more guns in schools.  And I think the vast majority of the American people are skeptical that that somehow is going to solve our problem,” he said.

Obama said that he expected even firearm owners to understand the need for new regulations in the wake of the Connecticut shooting spree that killed 20 young children.

“I think there are a vast majority of responsible gun owners out there who recognize that we can't have a situation in which somebody with severe psychological problems is able to get the kind of high-capacity weapons that this individual in Newtown obtained and gun down our kids,” Obama said.

You need to be a member of The Patriots For America to add comments!

Join The Patriots For America

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I really hope They ( the Nazi- social facist) know that I and many millions of Vets know that Gun control is the ability to hit where you aim,,,,,

RB

• “I think there are a vast majority of responsible gun owners out there who recognize that we can't have a situation in which somebody with severe psychological problems is able to get the kind of high-capacity weapons that this individual in Newtown obtained and gun down our kids,” Obama said.

Quite a statement-- considering his political stomping ground of Chicago has had almost 500 shhotings this year!!

Chicago already subscribes to his notion about gun control-----anyone think it works there??

By implication-that means his Chicago hood-posse are TOTALLY IRRESPONSIBLE!!  I can't argue with that!!

• Obama will only open up a black market for these type of weapons, then they will never know who has them. He and those that push Gun Control in the area of eliminating Assault weapons need to think ,which is better knowing who buys them, or  letting  the wrong people get them illegally.Its not the weapons that need to be controlled it s who buys them and their mental state that needs to be addressed, As a former school administrator  the NRA and some lawmakers are right in pushing for armed Law enforcement officers to be present at schools .It is really the only real deterrent in these type of situations and even with that, no one can guarantee the safety of our children 100%.Eg. A shooter intent on killing can do it anywhere ,not just in the school , but during Fire Drills ,bus loading ,etc.,  we discussed this in our school district and came up with many ways in which an individual who wanted to do harm ,could do it no matter what non human safeguards you put in place.

• In response to the President's illogical and irrational position.

Dear Mr. President - It is time you take responsibility for the calamity that struck Sandy Hook Elementary.  Due to your disastrous leadership, the economy fell into such disarray that proper security and essential welfare was not provided to the nation.  Your inadequate capability to steer the nation into a positive economic growth pattern further burdened the youth of America by failing to provide adequate jobs for them.  This led to heightened family crisis where your lack of proper administration within the society spread further grief and angst among the graduating young.  While you boast of concern, your actions continue to drive a debt burden that will elongate this spiraling disaster. 

Mr. President, it is time for you to admit your shortcomings and your accountability for the disasters like Sandy Hook Elementary affecting the nation.  Why do I state this you might ask - it is becuase your daughters are well protected by many security guards while those in Sandy Hook Elementary were not.  So, you see, Mr. President, while you took very good safety precautions with your own children, you did nothing to avert the Sandy Hook Elementary disaster. 

Mr. President, you continually spread a cancerous divisive banter of deceitful hate amongst the youth of the nation and then attempt to place blame upon others.  This is not only unAmerican, it borders on treason when viewed as a national failure of securiing the American communities from such harm.  Your attitude is the primary reason that situations like Sandy Hook Elementary took place.  It is your flipant destructive attitude and those of your followers that place the largest burden on the nation.  Let's face it sir, you are the problem, and therefore, personally cannot deliver a solution until you quit being the cancerous deliverer. 

As a patriot and personal protector of my family, I will employ all means to protect them form harm such as that of Sandy Hook Elementary.  This includes teaching each of them to carry a weapon that will permit them to overcome and adapt to the situation at hand.  This way, I will be somewhat confident that the evil individuals who may attempt another Sandy Hook Elementary will be confronted with fire power much greater than that available to the Sandy Hook Elementary victims.

Any attempt by you to restrict my ability to correctly arm and protect my family with greater firepower than the evil criminals will be met with direct disobedience.  For it is my right as their protector to possess that greater power so that my heirs may continue to thrive within this great nation.

Sincerely,

A grandparent who protects and defends.  

P.S. We are the nations frontline Militia

• Politically anti-gun fanatic Senators Dianne Feinstein and Chuck Schumer both have special-issue personal Concealed Carry Licenses from their home states of California and New York, respectively, both of which aren't easy to get for us peasant-folk even when our lives are in equivalent jeopardy to theirs! Bloomberg has 5 body guards and personal concealed carry.

The prestigious Washington, DC school where Barack Obama sends his two daughters has 11 ARMED security officers as standard operating procedure for ALL of its students and is moving to hire a new police officer in the wake of the Sandy Hook shooting by a madman.
    In the last year we have provided direct cash aid to
    > >> > Hamas - 351 M,
    > >> > Libya 1.45 B,
    > >> > Egypt - 397 M,
    > >> > Mexico - 622 M,
    > >> > Russia - 380 M,
    > >> > Haiti - 1.4 B,
    > >> > Jordan - 463 M,
    > >> > Kenya - 816 M,
    > >> > Sudan - 870 M,
    > >> > Nigeria - 456 M,
    > >> > Uganda - 451 M,
    > >> > Congo - 359 M,
    > >> > Ethiopia - 981 M,
    > >> > Pakistan - 2 B,
    > >> > South Africa - 566 M,
    > >> > Senegal - 698 M,
    > >> > Mozambique - 404 M,
    > >> > Zambia - 331 M,
    > >> > Kazakhstan - 304 M,
    > >> > Iraq - 1.08 B,
    > >> > Tanzania - 554 M,
    : EPA costs US economy $353 billion per year -- A gift of 20 new F 16 given to Egypt . money for failed green energy companies, chevy volts, abortions, gays getting married at West Point and of course obamanotcare, Also, we have plenty of funds to spend on TSA agents to search little toddlers and old ladies in wheelchairs on a daily basis! to the Welfare, Food Stamps, Medicaid or "Obama phone" programs, wasted BILLIONS of dollars on crony-connected, "green energy" boondoggles that failed miserably ; all the ACORN affiliates/umbrella groups got tons of money to make sure the welfare bums made it to the polling places.....; increased foreign aid by 80%, each year Billions of our tax dollars to just about every country in the world now. Over $300 Billion is spent on illegal aliens each year.
    Billions spent on some of the most stupid grant studies, WHY ASIAN WOMEN HAVE SEX WHEN THEY ARE DRUNK , A SHRIMP ON A TREADMILL ,WHY A BEE FLIES and on and on. There are so much nonsense they spend our money on. But THEY quietly LET FEDERAL FUNDING FOR SEVERAL KEY SCHOOL SECURITY PROGRAMS LAPSE IN THE NAME OF BUDGET SAVINGS . But No Budget in the last 4years.
    Government plan...DISARM American Citizens... GUN FREE ZONES IS WHERE THE BIG MASSACRES TAKE PLACE
    Yea lets punish those guns , but the Mental Criminal that pulls the trigger goes Free.

Chicago, with some of the strictest gun laws in the country, racks up it's 500th murder of the year.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/... There were 40,000 traffic deaths in 2011, but I don't hear any outcry over that . Why not confiscate all guns from the drug dealers, gang bangers , MS 13 and criminals first and than see if the crime rates drop. It just seems not matter the crisis government always wants to take away the guns from law abiding people first. Or how about the 40k people killed in Mexico how many were killed by the guns Holder allowed to be sold to the Cartels??? Yet the entire Fast and Furious scandal seems to be pushed aside to cover so many mistakes.
    Please allow me to explain Assault Weapon and Bushmaster ; Assalt Weapon is only permitted for Police and Military, they are full auto that is you pull the trigger once and hundreds of rounds will fire and are illegal to buy and against the law to have one and ( considered submachine gun and covered under the National Firearms Act). The Bushmaster available at WalMart , sporting goods , gun shows , are Legal to buy and they are the kind that only shoots one shot at a time and to buy one you have to have a back-ground investigation by the Government and it is registered; same applys to an AK47 , 12 gauge and so on. Dianne Feinstein , Chuck Schumer , Bloomberg and the retarded in Congress don`t know * assalt and semi *
    I served and I know what is an assaut weapon. I am not a gun creazy and do not like violence . Are Americans so gullible and ignorant that we will put
    our Constitution, our children, our teachers and the security of our homes in a lower security category than that in which we put our politicians?

God help us. But God isn’t allowed in our schools. Or in our
    public places. I am a Free man in a Free Nation and intend to keep it that way.

• We are already half way to situation which is now in England (of course, Canada is almost there. In late sixties you did not hear about any shooting in Toronto. Since prohibition of the hand guns, there is no day without shooting over there). Gun laws of 1968 are word by word based on the Nazi laws signed by Hitler in 1938. That is what "we the People" allowed our elected politicians to do .Dictatorial government does not care about well being of the citizens any more. Read the Constitution what you are allowed to do, but be careful, you will be branded as terrorist, enemy of state, as you would be in any communist country. Over there is not very smart to say publicly what is in the Constitution, unless you do not care being prosecuted and rot in some place, forgotten by outside world.

The ONLY reason for the gun control is the control by the Government of the own population. With usurping more and more power (Nazi Germany, all former communist countries and any dictatorship) there is the danger for such governments, that population of the country will start to defend themselves and have means to overthrow such Government. Criminals are in minority and never any danger for the government. Gun control is the goal of any dictatorship to which EVERY government is turning with the time. Obama's administration is a good example of that.

• Twana, it will not be long now. These bastards in Congress and the White House are going to do the deed, but I think they are in for a very RUDE AWAKENING, if they try to execute on the American People. I think most people in this country have hit the saturation point and have had just about all the SHIT  they want from this current Government. I think their DAYS are numbered now.

• In America, it's time to recall the words of Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago:
    "And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security Operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say goodbye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling in terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst; the cursed machine would have ground to a halt."
This reply was deleted.

Activity

Oldrooster posted a discussion
Sunday
Apr 17
Apr 14
Apr 8
Mar 31